Development Coordinator - School of Communication(10580)
The School of Communication (SOC) Development Coordinator is responsible for recruiting and managing volunteers and coordinating logistics for the School of Communication Alumni Mentor Program, School of Communication Intensive Programs (including but not limited to the NYC Intensive and LA Intensive), and select fundraising events and activities. The Development Coordinator provides administrative support to the SOC Development office and serves as a liaison to the SOC Dean's Office and other internal offices as needed. The Development Coordinator will also serve as a liaison to the Office of Annual Giving and Donor Relations and Advancement Communication team on the regular solicitation, recognition, and engagement of current donors. Additionally, the Development Coordinator assists the SOC Development team by providing research on donors and prospects in preparation for meetings, as well as for campaign and event briefings. Under the supervisor of the Chief Development Officer, SOC, the incumbent will have the opportunity to further his/her professional development by learning about cultivating and soliciting high end annual gifts ($500+).
- Coordinates volunteer alumni mentors for the SOC Alumni Mentor Program, including serving as liaison with: the SOC Undergraduate Office, the SOC Graduate Office, the AU Career Center, and Academic Affairs Administrative Assistant in the selection process and maintaining regular correspondence with mentors. Serves as liaison to the AU Career Center and respective SOC offices to manage coordinator for annual New York and LA Intensive and Virtual programs. This includes but is not limited to: securing site hosts, managing logistics between SOC Development, and coordinating with partners on a networking reception.
- Provides staffing for the School of Communication major gifts program. Supports the SOC Development team in managing prospect portfolios to the point of gift solicitation. Coordinates SOC activities for alumni relations, donor relations and donor issues, gathering information and ensuring data integrity with list requests, and planning logistics required for donor solicitation. Plans and executes SOC Development focused events in preparation for the overall campaign. This includes, but is not limited to: events during All American Weekend,, Commencement, virtual events, and other ad hoc events on an as needed basis.
- Under the supervision of the Chief Advancement Officer serves as liaison with both the Annual Giving team and the Donor Relations and Advancement Communications team to coordinate targeted solicitations for annual gifts and management of leadership annual giving prospects, follow up on solicitations, and active stewardship of current donors. Generates gift acknowledgement letters on behalf of the SOC Development Officers, and provides notification of new gifts to appropriate offices and department heads.
- Provides administrative support to the Chief Advancement Officer and, in some instances,the Director of Development including coordinating travel arrangements, research for high level donors and prospects, coordinating the creation of briefing materials, inputting contact reports in the database, submitting travel reconciliations, making supply orders, and maintaining calendar schedules. Other duties as assigned by Chief Development Officer.
- Serves as liaison between the School of Communication and the Office of Development and Alumni Relations.
- The Development Coordinator reports to the Chief Advancement Officer for SOC, and works closely with the Director of Development for SOC.
- The position supervises one work-study student. Processes hundreds of emails and phone calls related to giving.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Periodic night and weekend work required
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited educational institution required
- Attention to detail and ability to set priorities and meet deadlines to achieve results.
- A successful candidate must demonstrate a strong attention to detail, ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines, and the ability to analyze and articulate reasons for giving
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
Preferred Education and Experience
- One or more years of successful experience in a higher education setting with emphasis on volunteer management,marketing, and major gift solicitation
- Familiarity with customer relationship management software and American University's School of Communications programs, professors, and alumni/-ae
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Development & Advancement Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.