Asst Director of Accounting
Responsible for all accounting functions for all operating, plant funds, restricted funds, loans, and agency funds. Supervise General Accounting Staff, including Tax and Compliance Analyst and Investment Accountant. Manage year-end close process, annual financial audit process with external auditors, and the internal and external financials report development. Participate in LEAN projects on a continual basis and develop cost and forecasting analysis. Manage the University general ledger and cart of accounts.
1. Supervise all accounting tasks for unrestricted, auxiliary,
designated, plant, loan, agency, debt and restricted funds. Provide
customer service in understanding and maintaining these accounts.
Examples of significant activities supervised are:
a. Reconcile or ensure reconciliation have occurred for all balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis.
b. Set up new accounts, create and post journal entries, and monitor accounting activity for the funds listed above.
c. Upload, process, and balance interdepartmental charges.
d. Process and reconcile data interfaces from bursar, AP and payroll and ensure that the accounting system remains in balance.
e. Using the fixed asset module, process fixed asset transactions and reconcile capitalization entries. Record depreciation and debt.
f. Prepare and distribute internal and external financial reports.
2. Supervise the Tax and Compliance Coordinator. Review and approve the CAFR, HEI, IPEDS, and other financial regulatory reporting. Review the University's unrelated business income and preparation of the IRS 990, 990-T forms and other tax related reporting.
3. Supervise accounting staff including but not limited to training, assign and direct work, review work, coach and/or counsel, and conduct performance evaluations.
4. Manage and participate in the annual year-end closing process for all the financial offices including the Banner general ledger year-end closing process, the year-end calendar, reconciliations, scoresheets, journal entry processing, budget carryforward processing, and financial workpaper preparation. Manage year-end roll forward process for general ledger accounts and encumbrances.
5. Work with external auditors to manage the annual university audit process. Prepare audit schedules and respond to audit requests for additional information and explanations. Pursue and resolve any audit findings and management comments. Prepare management discussion and analysis, financial statements, and footnotes for Annual Report. Prepare or review financial schedules and exhibits for the annual internal financial report. Coordinate production of the Annual Report and internal financial report. Manage completion of the annual NCAA agreed-upon procedures report and audit review.
6. Assure compliance with GAAP and GASB standards. Review and implement new GASB pronouncements.
7. Lead or participate in LEAN projects in order to increase processing efficiency and reduce costs. Continually challenge the current operations and identify new process to review.
8. Develop Business Intelligence reports, forecasts and analysis to respond to internal information requests, external surveys, and other reporting requests.
9. Act as chart of accounts manager for general ledger. Define account attributes, control account number sequences and significant digits, establish authorization levels for creating and deleting accounts, and manage documentation of account purposes and restrictions.
10. Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Accounting Officer
The position requires 5 or more years of experience as a Staff
Accountant, Auditor, or Accounting Supervisor/Manager and a
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, and or general
Proficiency with PC-based software, including Microsoft Word and Excel.