Office Administrator (EXTENDED)
The Office Administrator oversees the general operations of the Department of Physics by providing administrative support to the Department Chair, Assistant
Chair, Graduate Director, Faculty, Principal Investigators of research grants, Lab
Manager and Office Personnel. The Office Administrator supports the department’s operation and relations with internal and external NIU offices, including NIU personnel, grant administrators and administrative personnel at outside research facilities. Prepares, reviews and evaluates grant funding transitions and expirations for multiple accounts. Submits internal university paperwork regarding finance, personnel, and sabbatical, tenure, merit and effort reports. Coordinates schedule of classes with Undergraduate Director and
multiple departments while establishing and maintaining relations with related university offices. Processes all hiring paperwork concerning faculty, research scientists, extra help, student workers and post-baccalaureate candidates.
Coordinates multiple on-site department events for visitors, students, summer
STEM programs and learning assistantships. Acts as a resource and point of contact for undergraduate and graduate students.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
-Executes all clerical and administrative functions related to the overall operations
of the Department as directed by the Department Chair, Assistant Chair and Director of Graduate Studies. Areas of administration include but not limited to department operations, personnel, grant administration and undergraduate and graduate course scheduling.
Confers with Principal Investigators and Sponsored Program Administrators to
initiate renewals, manage expirations and monitor numerous funding changes of
multiple faculty and graduate assistant contracts. Communicates with Sponsored
Programs Administrators to ensure smooth transitions of contract execution from
outside laboratories to NIU administrators. Consults CLAS business office managers to ensure funding and cost centers are allocated appropriately.
Calculates funding source changes to ensure accuracy on resulting effort reports.
-Coordinates contracts with multiple Principal Investigators associated with
Sponsored Program Administrators and Scholarship Offices related to
Chicagoland Accelerator Science Traineeship. Interprets payment schedules.
Informs trainees of payment schedules; processes travel reimbursements.
Prepares additional hire paperwork as assigned.
-Processes all extra help, student worker, post-baccalaureate and research
scientists HR paperwork.
-Ensures all international guidelines are adhered to for HR including background
checks, I-94, I-9 and documents. Works with Division of International Affairs to
accurately produce H1B status and corresponding documentation.
-Manages continuity of paperwork to ensure faculty, research scientists and
graduate students are reimbursed international and domestic travel expenses.
-Represents department and serves as a liaison with NIU departments and
Supervises office support and student workers. Prioritizes and allocates clerical
assignments as needed. -Schedules classes for one year in advance; assigns
rooms, labs and cross-listing data. Resolves issues with Records/Registration for
edits, inputs and consults Assistant Department Chair with conflicts and
resolutions. -Manages personnel information using NIU People Admin. Complete
twice monthly departmental payroll and benefit usage submissions. -Supervises
and assigns office responsibilities to office staff.
-Attends departmental meeting as needed.
-Preform tasks of other office staff in their absence.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
High school graduation or equivalent
Any one or any combination totaling 1.0 unit of the following:
Four (4) years (48 months) of work experience comparable to the third level of this series = 1.0 unit
Two (2) years (24 months) of work experience comparable to the fourth level of this series = 1.0 unit
Note: Amounts of experience or training less than those listed above should be converted to decimal equivalents of 1.0 unit and added together when computing combinations of the different types of preparation.
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Twenty-four (24) months of clerical/office support work experience comparable to that performed at the Office Support Specialist level of this series or in other positions of comparable responsibility
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
This person must be able to work independently, prioritizing responsibilities appropriately.
The person must have the necessary judgement to be able to determine which items should be handled directly where approriate and directign others directly to the chair person.
Mon - Fri, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly)
Hiring Rate Information
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu . Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION . At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on Office Administrator for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage
Sit for extended periods.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * If applicable, have you attached a copy of your DD214, DD215,
NGB22, or DD256 for consideration of Veterans Preference Points?
The copy submitted should reflect the status of discharge in order
to be considered.
- Not Applicable
- * Do you have a certification such as Business/Administrative
Technology, Bookkeeping Office Assistant, Office Specialist,
Customer Service, etc. or successful completion of 30-59 semester
hours in any field? (Please remember to upload a copy of your
certification or unofficial copy of your transcript.)
- * Do you have an Associate’s degree or higher degree in any
field or concentration or successful completion of 60 or more
semester hours? (Please remember to upload a copy of your
- * Please specify the years of work experience involving
administrative support work (experience that supports the
day-to-day operations of an office or organization) or supervising
employee(s) or student(s) or project management experience.
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 2-4 years
- More than 4 years
- * Please provide the name of the employer and the dates of
employment where you gained this experience. Please note that this
information must be verified on an NIU application and/or
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please upload a writing sample explaining why you are
interested in the Office Administrator position at Northern
Illinois University. Please also include an example of a
professional communication (either in email or letter format).
- I have/will upload this under the Writing Sample document.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
- List of at least 3 References
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #2 (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #3 (unofficial with official required at hire)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb