Staff Psychologist/Counselor, Substance Use Coordinator - Counseling and Consultations Services
Provides clinical and outreach services within the scope of Counseling & Consultation Services ( CCS ) operations.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
a) Provides direct client care, e.g. assessment and individual and group counseling; crisis intervention during office hours and on call
b) Coordinates the Substance Use Education and Intervention Program, providing high-quality treatment and training in the area of substance use assessment and education
c) Works with Student Conduct and Housing to coordinate mandated substance use assessments.
d) Provides consultation to faculty, students, and staff.
e) Provides outreach programming to the university community
f) Provides supervision and training for doctoral interns, practicum students, and graduate students
g) Maintains accurate records in a timely and ethical manner
h) Other duties as assigned
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. Doctoral Degree in Clinical or Counseling Psychology or Master’s Degree in Counselor Education, Social Work, Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, or related field.
2. Must be licensed in the State of Illinois in professional discipline within 18 months of hire
3. Considerable clinical experience providing therapy
4. Demonstrated expertise in substance use assessment and treatment.
5. Ability to provide high quality training in substance use assessment and treatment
6. Demonstrated administrative and collaborative skills
7. Experience providing supervision to psychology, counseling or social work trainees/interns.
8. Experience providing outreach
9. Demonstrated commitment to diversity
10. Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
1. Prior experience in a university counseling center is preferred.
2. Demonstrated specialization/training in substance use assessment and treatment (e.g. CADC ) is preferred.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly)
$4,508.82 per month
Hiring Rate Information
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications are being sought for a Specialist in Counseling and Consultative Services at NIU . Applications are being taken through NIU’s Online Application Portal. Please use the following link to apply with your resume/vita, cover letter, list of 3 professional references: https://employment.niu.edu/postings/57249
Job posting will be open until the position is filled with review of applications beginning July 11, 2021.
Link to Department Homepage
Counseling and Consultative Services
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at email@example.com .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- List of at least 3 References
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #2 (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Certifications/Licensure #1
- Certifications/Licensure #2