Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and Engagement Initiatives Intern
The Wesleyan Athletic Department, located in the Freeman Athletic Center, a state-of-the-art-facility, is a member of the prestigious New England Small College Athletic Conference ( NESCAC ). They sponsor 29 varsity sports and believe athletics plays an integral part in a Wesleyan scholar–athlete’s liberal arts education. Highly trained and dedicated faculty-coaches, administrators and staff work collaboratively and tirelessly to assist student-athletes in reaching their academic and athletic goals.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Athletics the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and Engagement Initiatives Intern will assist the department’s effort in building a comprehensive and sustainable plan for diversity initiatives in athletics. This position will also work closely with the NCAA DEI Rep, the Director of Athletic Fundraising and the Assistant Athletics Director for Communications and the Office of Equity and Inclusion.
The position will also assist in developing strategies that will increase the engagement of athletic alumni of color.
Funding for this position as been approved for two years starting July 1, 2021 and ending June 30, 2023
STUDENT ATHLETE OF COLOR LEADERSHIP COUNCIL
Assist the NCAA DEI Rep in creating a comprehensive and sustainable Student Athlete of Color Leadership Council ( SACLC )
• Assess current programming for development opportunities.
• Assist in developing leadership curriculum and programming.
• Assist in creating plans for summer leadership retreats.
• Plan calendar for the year for all leadership programming.
• Create programming for student-athletes of color.
• Assist to develop vision, goals, strategy, and structure around alumni of color engagement.
• Assist to create a program strategy that highlights student-athletes of color experiences, accolades, and leadership.
• Interview and write articles highlighting student-athletes of color across all channels.
• Assist in analyzing athletic department demographical data.
• Assist in analyzing student-athlete recruitment practices and admissions data to identify opportunities for recruitment of student-athletes.
• Assist in creating a robust on-campus visit experience for prospective student-athletes of color.
• Analyze hiring and retention data to identify trends.
• Assist in identifying and engaging candidates for athletic department staff openings.
This is a .83 FTE position that works full time for 43 weeks
during the academic year with Summers off.
Funding for this position has been approved for two years
During the months of June and July there is potential opportunity to work part-time hours in the Freeman Athletics Center
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 1 year of experience working
in athletics or a related field or an equivalent combination of
education, training and experience.
Demonstrated ability to be organized and detail-oriented.
Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
Effective communication skills.
Aptitude for collaborating with others, establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with staff, coaches, administrators, and campus colleagues.
Ability to exercise significant independent judgment.
Proficiency with utilization of trending social media platforms.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office products such as Word, Excel, and Power Point.
Willingness to comply with NCAA regulations.
Ability to occasionally work nights and weekends as needed.
Demonstrated commitment to work within a diverse environment and interact collegially with individuals of all backgrounds.
Degree in sports management/marketing, journalism,
communications, marketing, or similar field.
Familiarity with NCAA Division III and conference regulations ( NESCAC ).
Experience with diversity and inclusion programming.
Previous engagement with or in a leadership development program.
Demonstrated ability to effectively write and tell stories across all channels.
Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite products including, but not limited to, In Design, Premiere and Photoshop.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Application close date is June 24, 2021.
Any and all offers to external applicants are contingent on the candidate’s completion of a pre-employment background check screening to the satisfaction of Wesleyan University.
Wesleyan University, located in Middletown, Connecticut, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, age, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, ancestry, present or past history of mental disorder, learning disability or physical disability, political belief, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or non-position-related criminal record. We welcome applications from women and historically underrepresented minority groups. Inquiries regarding Title IX, Section 504, or any other non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Alison Williams, Vice President for Equity & Inclusion/ Title IX Officer, 860-685-3927, email@example.com.