Administrative Associate IV, ASUM Legal Services
ASUM Legal Services invites applications for an Administrative Associate IV . This position is expected to provide administrative and legal support services for the ASUM Legal Services office on campus. The incumbent in this role will supervise one to two part time student receptionists; input of internal office date, including timekeeping, payroll, travel, and employment paperwork; and serve as the Notary Public for clients and ASUM Staff.
Provides administrative support for the Director of ASUM Legal Services, one Associate Attorney, and two to four legal Interns. This includes:
- managing appointments, calendars, deadlines and court dates,
- managing intake of prospective clients and communications with current clients
- creating and maintaining accurate and complete administrative office files in the cloud storage system,
- creating and maintaining client legal files in the online case management system,
- collecting, transferring and depositing client fees into client trust account and ASUM operating account, and maintaining security and reporting of the fees,
- Maintain confidentiality of client and office information
- Maintaining, updating and orientation of new staff regarding office policies and procedures as necessary.
Performs legal work under the supervision of the office attorneys, including:
- Draft, edit, proofread, serve and file legal documents
- Work with multiple online court filing systems
- Provide resources, information and routine non-legal advice to clients and non-clients
- Direct assistance to unrepresented clients with forms and paperwork
- Maintain confidentiality of client information
Provides public relations, including:
- Communications and outreach, responding to a variety of inquiries from the student body, staff, faculty, campus administration, Missoula legal community, and the general public via email and phone.
- Maintain confidential information and exercise good judgment regarding communication about sensitive, private issues, and with occasionally difficult and and/or emotional people
- Create and coordinate the distribution of departmental announcements and publications for the UM community, such as educational brochures and outreach materials.
- Attend and represent the office at informational functions such as student orientation and educational fairs.
This position requires incumbent to develop a working knowledge of law office practices and procedures, and paralegal work; the University of Montana and ASUM system; as well as obtain certification as a Notary Public.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with audiences of varied educational levels, ages, diverse backgrounds and lifestyles, regarding emotional and stressful subject matters. Discretion in dealing with sensitive, private and emotional subjects
- Experience and skills in drafting, proofreading, and editing of documents
- Experience and skills with computers and office technology, including email, word processing, spreadsheets, and case management software. Experience and skills with cloud-based filing and storage systems
- Experience and skills with basic office equipment, including copiers, scanners, shredders, multi-line phone system
- Experience and skills with receiving and handling payment of customer/client fees, financial security measures, invoicing, application of payments, reconciliation, and basic financial reporting
- Organizational, time management and multitasking skills. Ability to work independently. Receptive to correction and constructive feedback
Minimum Required Experience
- High School diploma and three (3) years’ of directly related administrative experience in a legal setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully carry out the duties of the position.
- Knowledge of and experience with law office practices and procedures, including ethical responsibilities of attorneys, strict confidentiality, and the unauthorized practice of law; knowledge of basic court procedures and format of court pleadings
- Experience working as a legal secretary and/or as a paralegal
- Knowledge of the University of Montana and ASUM system
- Experience supervising other staff
- Notary Public or eligible for qualification
- Knowledge of and experience housing law, consumer law, and/or family law
About ASUM Legal Services and UM
To provide low cost legal services to University of Montana students and ASUM agencies.
Nestled in at the base of Mount Sentinel and on the banks of the Clark Fork River, UM campus is described as one of the most beautiful in the US. The region boasts unparalleled year around recreational opportunities and a vibrant arts and culture community. UM offers a unique opportunity for professional growth in a magnificent environment. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
UM provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. Located in the heart of western Montana’s stunning natural landscape, UM attracts first rate teachers, researchers, and students from around the world. A city within a city – with its own eateries, stores, medical facilities, banking and postal services, and zip code – UM has an increasingly diverse population and rich culture.
The University of Montana is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity as a core value. We support equal access and welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. This position is eligible for veterans' and disabilities preference in accordance with Montana State Law.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Administrative Associate IV
Position Number: 452510
Department: ASUM Legal Services
Work Schedule: Part-time, .75 FTE (30 Hours a week), flexible schedule, 12 months/year.
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Tuesday, July 6, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
High School graduation and four (4) years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of experience and education
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Professional Fields Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Law & Legal Studies Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner