June 15, 2021
Dean of the College of Asia Pacific Studies
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
To Whom It May Concern:
Recruitment of Faculty for Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
The College of Asia Pacific Studies at Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University is recruiting a faculty member asoutlined below. Please inform any relevant persons. Thank you for your cooperation.
1. Recruitment Field, Number of Openings, Type of Employment, etc.:
Field(s) : Sociology
Openings : 1
Type of employment:
*Depending on the candidate’s experience, a tenured faculty position may be offered.
●Associate Professor or Assistant Professor
*Position will be determined based on qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. The successful candidate will be notified at the time of appointment decision.
Courses to be taught:
●Able to teach a few courses among the following: Sociology, Transnational Sociology, Ethnicity and the Nation State, and Education and Society. The successful candidate may be asked to teach postgraduate courses.
●Ability to teach in Japanese and English is preferred. Postgraduate courses are taught only in English.
At a minimum, applicants must meet the qualifications noted below.
a. Doctoral degree in a relevant field (or expected to graduate with a Doctoral degree by the time of appointment), or with academic achievements equivalent to a Doctoral degree.
b. Have at least 1 publication in peer-reviewed journal in the
past 5 years.
For ABD (All But Dissertation) cases, candidates must have passed the screening for their dissertation plan and be eligible to submit their dissertation (1 publication in a peer-reviewed journal in the past 5 years is not required.) To be appointed as an associate professor, at least 3 publications in peer-reviewed journals in the past 5 years will be required.
Sufficient English proficiency to teach, guide students, and engage in administrative duties.
2. Date of Appointment: April 1, 2022
3. Duration of Appointment:
5 years (Fixed-term faculty as based on the "Law concerning Term Limitation of University Educators")
Explanation of APU Faculty structure and
[The APU Tenure Track System]
The fixed-term faculty members (associate professor) hired under the tenure-track system are subject to an internal review of their performance in education, research, and university administration around the fourth year after their appointment. If the results of the review meet the criteria set out in the internal regulations, the faculty member may be eligible for a change of status to tenured faculty, which guarantees them stable employment without fixed term until their retirement age, or for reemployment as a fixed-term faculty member.
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University offers the Assistant Professor position to individuals who have just obtained or about to obtain their Doctoral degree with the aim of nurturing new faculty. Following the term as assistant professor, there will be an internal review of their academic and research performance. If the results of the review meet the criteria set out in the internal regulations, the faculty member may be eligible for a change of status to fixed-term associate professor. Fixed-term associate professors may be eligible for a change of status to tenured faculty based on the APU Tenure Track system explained above.
The retirement age for tenured faculty is 65 for professors and 60 for associate professors.
Based on University regulations. Support for research is also available (individual research funds for materials and travel expenses).
5．Affiliation: College of Asia Pacific Studies
6．Qualities Expected of Candidates:
(1) Candidates must agree with the fundamental principles and goals of APU, and be enthusiastic about education at APU.
(2) Candidates who are experts on a specific region of the Asia Pacific including Japan and whose teaching and research achievements focus on that region will be preferred.
(3) Teaching experience in higher education is an advantage.
7．Documents Required: Please submit 1 copy of each of these documents using the University format. Please download items (1) through (6), (12) and instructions on how to complete the forms from the APU homepage www.apu.ac.jp in the "Jobs" section.
(1) Curriculum vitae with applicant's signature or printed name with a seal [Form 1]
(2) Education, Employment and Research Experience [Form 1]
(3) List of Major Education/Research Projects and Other Achievements [Form 2]
(4) Microsoft Word Files of (1) through (3) on a CD-R: there is no need for a seal (hanko) or photograph.
(5) Language Proficiency Report [Form 3]
(6) Potential Courses of Instruction [Form 4]
(7) Statement of Intent for Application [No set format]
(8) Copies of three major publications (books, theses, articles, etc.) (Photocopies, less than two publications, dissertation applications are acceptable for ABD.)
(9) Summary of the publications included in (8) above. For each publication, please provide approximately one side of A4 for English or 400 characters for Japanese. [No set format]
(10) Letters of Recommendation *At least 2 letters will be required. (The letters must denote the relationship between recommender and candidate. Please submit original versions of the letters in sealed envelopes.) [No set format]
(11) Proof of highest level of education (Copy of diploma is acceptable.) In case of ABD, please submit the proof of ABD.
(12) Checklist for Document Submission [Form 5]
* After sending the items (1) through (12) by post, please respond promptly to the following survey replying that you have submitted them.
* Submission of items (1) through (7), and (9) in both English and Japanese is preferred.
* During the screening process, if necessary you may be requested to provide additional details on past educational and research achievements.
* If you are offered a position at APU, you will be required to complete a health check using our official form.
* Please note that documents submitted are not returnable. Any personal information that has been provided on the application will be handled with the utmost care in accordance with University regulations. The information will not be used for any other purpose than to screen candidates for employment.
Friday, July 30, 2021 (Applications must be submitted by post and arrive by this date.)
9．Please submit completed application forms to:
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
Attn: Person in Charge of Personnel Affairs
1-1 Jumonjibaru, Beppu, Oita 874-8577 JAPAN
*Please be sure to send your application by registered mail (kakitome-yubin) and mark "APS Sociology Faculty Member Application Enclosed" in red on the envelope.
*For further inquiries, please contact:
Academic Office, Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
Subject: Application for APS Sociology Position
(1) Applicants will be asked to present a mock lecture to the interviewing committee at the time of the interview.
(2) Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University is a smoke-free campus. There are no smoking areas on campus.
We value diversity, so we look forward to receiving applications from individuals with wide and varied backgrounds and work experience.
*Please refer to the APU website for more information on the University