Sports Dietitian - Athletics
Sports Dietitian - Athletics
Job ID: 228915
Location: Statesboro, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associates, bachelors, masters and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
0310201 - Extramural Physical Activities
The Sports Dietitian for Georgia Southern Athletics will oversee the provision of nutrition-related services for all student-athletes. This position will assess and provide counsel for student-athletes on optimal nutrition for practices, strength and conditioning training, competition, recovery, weight management, hydration, and supplementation.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Coordinate/manage quantity food production and distribution, such as working with Campus Dining on developing and managing menus and catering in conjunction with University and vendor personnel
- Provide team-specific nutrition training and recommendations
- Responsible for ordering, inventory, and procurement of goods through necessary vendors for Olympic athletic fueling stations
- Collaborate with Georgia Southern University Waters College of Health Professions with other on-campus Registered Dietitians to ensure the best use of campus programming and facilities for student-athletes (Coordinates use of body composition analysis systems, such as DEXA and BodPod).
- Maintain Athletics as a clinical site for the dietetic intern program and oversee the transition to masters level program
- Work in conjunction with relevant health care providers within the Sports Medicine Department on making referrals when appropriate
- Provide assessment and counseling for sport-specific and gender-specific recommendations regarding optimal body composition and weight for good health and optimal athletic performance
- Maintaining knowledge of and compliance with specific NCAA, Sun Belt, and institutional rules that relate to this position is required
- Ensure proper knowledge of all policies and procedures within the sports medicine department in regard to disordered eating
- Develops and oversees the budget for the sports nutrition department
- Assess and analyze dietary practices, body composition, and energy balance (intake and expenditure) of student-athletes in the context of athletic performance and health.
- Counsel athletes on optimal nutrition for exercise training, competition, recovery, weight management, hydration, immunity, disordered eating, travel, and supplementation
- Develop and deliver nutrition education presentations, demonstrations, and events on various topics related to nutrition for performance. Develops fact sheets, e-mails, social media content, web videos, bulletin boards, tabletop cards, etc. as needed
- Collaborate with athletic trainers, strength and conditioning coaches, staff/sports psychologist, and team physicians to research, evaluate, recommend, purchase, distribute and monitor permissible and effective nutritional supplements within e.g. NCAA, U.S. Anti-doping Agency (USADA), World Anti-doping Agency (WADA) and the Department of Intercollegiate (DIA) policies
- Responsible for all documentation of nutrition services and evaluates the effectiveness of nutrition strategies towards meeting desired outcomes
- Conduct nutritional assessments and counseling for student-athletes with clinical nutritional needs, such as disordered eating, IBS, Celiac disease, Crohns disease, food intolerances, and diabetes
- Collaborate with Strength and Conditioning staff for the Fueling Stations and supervises pre-and post- workout/practice nutritional needs
- Work with members of all coaching staffs, behavioral health providers, the strength and conditioning staff, the athletic training staff, and related student-athlete service providers to ensure a collaborative and comprehensive approach to training, nutrition, and recovery, as well as aiding in the treatment of diet and nutrition-related medical issues
- Professional Development:
- Maintain dietetic registration and continuing education requirements.
- Develop and implement an individualized portfolio plan for professional growth and development including participation in professional organizations and activities, workshops, seminars, and development programs.
- Stay abreast of current food, nutrition, and health issues, and research related to sports nutrition.
- Bachelors degree
- One (1) year work experience as a Registered Dietitian
- Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD)
- Master's degree
$36,500 - $39,500
Required Documents to Attach
- Please provide three (3) professional references in the Required Documents to Attach section on your application.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Navigate web access and e-mail with or without reasonable accommodation
- Ability to accurately measure height and body weight.
- Ability to accurately assess body composition (body mass, body fat, and muscle mass).
- Ability to accurately assess and evaluate energy balance.
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Must be able to communicate effectively
- Must be able to work in a face paced environment
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support the University's mission for student success
- Knowledge of disordered eating signs and symptoms.
- Comprehensive knowledge and application of medical nutrition therapy, including interviewing and education techniques.
- Knowledge of NCAA and Sun Belt Conference rules is preferred
- Understanding computer systems, including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrate commitment to inclusiveness by working well with diverse populations
- Use effective communication and human relations skills
- Proven proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office, Google, and/or applications as required for specific position Demonstrate appropriate organizational skills as required for specific position
- Excellent time management, organizational, and record-keeping skills
- Must have exceptional organizational skills and excel in a team environment
Apply Before Date
June 30, 2021
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org .
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or email@example.com .
Conditions of Employment
- Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
- Successful completion of background investigation and legal authorization to work in the US prior to employment
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicant for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the America with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
- Work performed in indoor and outdoor environments
- Work week often extends to evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Some travel required
- May be required to lift items up to 50 lbs. with or without reasonable accommodation
Standard and Education
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=228915&PostingSeq=1