Director of K-16 Initiatives
Job Title: Director of K-16 Initiatives
Department: Office of Academic Affairs
Position Status: Full-Time
Directly Reports To: Vice President for Academic Affairs
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology (TSCT) seeks a Director of K-16 Initiatives to provide strategic oversight and leadership to the College’s efforts to help Pennsylvania students make a successful transition to college, careers and life beyond.
The Director of K-16 Initiatives will develop and implement a comprehensive strategy for K-16 partnerships that will stimulate interest among K-12 students throughout Pennsylvania in the College, ease the transition from K-12 schools to the College, improve the success of TSCT students, and prepare TSCT graduating students for additional education and/or careers. Given the emphasis at TSCT on applications of technology, a priority will be assigned to providing opportunities in STEM education and related areas.
The Director of K-16 Initiatives will strategically build new and strengthen existing high quality programs, including extended day and year learning opportunities, that create innovative pathways for young Pennsylvanians to envision and achieve success. While the programs address a diverse set of needs, they all aim to improve success rates and to ease the transition from K-12 schools to college and careers.
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology's K-16 Initiatives support the College's mission and commitment to meeting the higher education needs of low income, historically under-represented students in ways that lead to gainful employment at life-enhancing wages. The K-16 initiatives also support the College’s closely related goal of contributing to the growth and strength of business and industry across the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Key responsibilities include, but will not be limited to the following:
- In collaboration with the executive leadership team, establish and support goals, strategies and processes for the long-term success of the Office of K-16 Initiatives.
- Provide strategic advice and counsel to the executive leadership team on partnerships and engagement opportunities, ensure that priorities and areas of focus are appropriately set, and make sure all programs have sustainable funding plans.
- Engage internal and external stakeholders, including campus leaders, community partners, and others to ensure that the programs within the Office of K-16 Initiatives have needed resources, polices and support.
- Oversee and manage the College’s STEM truck; including scheduling of visits, coordinating of instructors, and facilitating and ensuring equipment, supplies and activities are prepared.
- Support employer engagement to create and make visible career pathways for students and graduates.
- Plan, organize, perform, integrate and evaluate programs, services and pathway activities.
- Guide K-16 program leaders as they develop new, innovative strategies to drive program improvements through partnerships; evaluate potential partnerships for both feasibility and alignment with short & long-term goals.
- Develop K-16 brand identity among key stakeholders, including students and families, college leaders and faculty, education thought leaders, donors, elected officials, community partners.
- Identify and maximize opportunities for engagement in conversations on equity, education reform, and other critical issues affecting K-16 programs and students.
- Develop written materials to support increased awareness of the Office of K-16 Initiatives.
- Manage cross-functional projects and ensure that all assigned deliverables are completed with the highest quality and on time.
- Lead strategy and planning for all programs within K-16 Initiatives.
- Lead planning for and implementation of pilots and other new programming within the Office of K-16 Initiatives.
- Lead Office of K-16 Initiatives meetings and events.
- Work with the Development Office to find new sources of funding for current and future programs and to recognize donors and volunteers who support these initiatives.
- Oversee program budgeting and budget management for all programs within the Office of K-16 Initiatives.
- Write reports for internal and external audiences with regard to activities and accomplishments within the Office of K-16 Initiatives.
- Ensure programmatic excellence by monitoring and evaluating student achievement, staff performance, financial resource management, and enrollment/participation patterns across all programs.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and eight years’ related experience required.
- A demonstrated knowledge and expertise of issues related to college readiness, transition and success, particularly for low-income and minority youth.
- Broad understanding of public higher education policies and systems and commitment to promoting college access and success in post-secondary education.
- Supervisory experience working with educational program administrators and instructors.
- Experience in planning, organization and coordination of Dual Enrollment Programs operations and activities.
- Experience with curriculum development and implementation, including standards, requirements, interpretation and application in postsecondary training programs.
- Experience with project management and evaluation; strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines under ever-evolving priorities; ability to manage competing interests and strong personalities.
- Experience designing and facilitating professional development activities.
- Knowledge, professional stature, and demonstrated ability to work effectively with College administrators and faculty, along with leaders in the non-profit and private sectors.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, demanding, and complex work environment, including the ability to carry out complex assignments and adapt to changing situations and priorities.
- Strong interpersonal communication, writing, presentation, negotiation and group facilitation skills.
- Strong relationship and fiscal management skills coupled with the ability to address issues that may arise unexpectedly.
Conditions of Employment
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology is a residential, two year technical college that serves economically disadvantaged as well as tuition-paying students. The College prepares students for skilled employment in a diverse, ever-changing workforce and for full, effective participation as citizens of the community, the Commonwealth, and the nation. Committed for over a century to lifelong learning, inclusiveness, and community outreach, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology dedicates itself to the development of Pennsylvania's technical workforce. For information about the College, visit www.stevenscollege.edu.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as a computer, phone, and copier.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing and movement is required. This would require the ability to lift files and file boxes, open filing cabinets, walking, and bending or standing as necessary.
Application Process: Application materials must include a cover letter, a current resume, and academic transcripts. Send applications to Heather Burky, Attention: Director of K-16 Initiatives, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology, 750 East King Street, Lancaster, PA 17602 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed upon submission and the posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Apply for Director of K-16 Initiatives
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly