Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and a world leader in experiential learning. The same commitment to connecting with the world drives our use-inspired research enterprise. The university offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Our campuses in Charlotte, N.C., San Francisco, Seattle, and Toronto are regional platforms for undergraduate and graduate learning and collaborative research. Northeastern pursues advanced research in security and materials at the Innovation Campus in Burlington, Massachusetts, and in coastal sustainability at the Marine Science Center in Nahant, Massachusetts.
About the Opportunity:
This position is for a research technician/physicist who will set up the laboratory space and design/construct a prototype detector for astrophysics projects. Responsibilities also include data analysis and computational simulation. Experience with semiconductor detector fabrication, assembly, inspection, and testing, including skill sets of wire-bonding and SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope), is highly desired. This is a full-time 9-month term position, starting from January 2021.
Laboratory setup and design/build a prototype detector; Semiconductor detector fabrication, assembly, inspection, and testing; data analysis and computational simulation
- Minimum of BA in physical sciences, emphasis in Physics/Math/Engineering preferred
- At least 3 years of experience in laboratory environment
- Specifically trained to work with cryogenics, high voltage, hazardous chemicals, radioactive sources
- Unique skill sets of wire-bonding and SEM
- Familiar with CAD software for mechanical & electronic component design
- Strong programming/software skills, especially applied to physics and mathematics, such as Python, C/C++, MATLAB, LabView
- Solid track record for problem solving and effective use of analytical skills
- Willingness to take on new and varied responsibilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as with highly professional colleagues and teams
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/504189