Sr. Director, Yale Alumni Assoc. Reunions & Classes
Yale University, conveniently located between Boston and New York, offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Located in the heart of historic downtown New Haven with more than 100 local boutiques, national retailers, cafés, casual eateries, award-winning restaurants, and world-renowned theaters, galleries, and museums.
General Purpose: The Yale Alumni Association (YAA) is responsible for university-wide alumni relations and for events, programs, initiatives, and other opportunities to strengthen alumni relationships with Yale. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Senior Director oversees alumni programs and activities for Yale College Classes to develop and strengthen alumni ties to the university through class organizations and reunions and serves on YAA’s senior leadership team.
Leading a team of 8 full-time staff, provide strategic direction for Yale College Class alumni program through some 75 active class organizations. Initiate and lead long-term planning to identify new programs and improve existing ones, including expanding online programming options. Assess outcomes relative to YAA and university objectives. Develop strategy for managing class volunteer expectations regarding staff support.
Oversee planning and execution of annual Yale College Reunions ($3.8M in expenditures and attracting 7,300 attendees to campus), including program development, budgeting, volunteer training oversight, and marketing. Lead the reunion planning team’s annual cycle of goal setting, planning, and process improvement. Build and enhance partnerships with other university staff and departments (e.g., Development, Hospitality, Facilities) to leverage reunion resources and improve results.
Oversee and engage in volunteer management of and partnering with class leaders and other volunteers, including a) class organization and development b) financial management of class treasuries (accounts held at Yale with 501(c)(3) status and approximately $1.8M annual income), including dues solicitation and class expenditures; and c) non-reunion event planning (over 1,500 participants annually). Develop and market online resources/toolkits for class leaders on planning in-person and online events, class leadership recruitment and succession planning, and advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Collaborate with colleagues to advance YAA priorities, to increase impact of class programming, and to encourage partnerships among classes and other groups, such as regional clubs and shared interest group chapters, including the sharing of best practices for post-event/reunion surveys and volunteer training and management.
Supervise Yale College classes staff team and set goals for staff performance. Develop standards for volunteer management, program development and execution, and other staff functions. Provide mentoring and development opportunities.
Oversee development and creation of models, guidelines, policies, and training materials for class-based programs that reflect alumni relations objectives and best practices for volunteer organizations. Conduct benchmarking and market research through professional conferences and other networking.
Participate in and staff YAA and other campus activities such as the YAA Assembly, including evenings and weekends as necessary.
The information provided in the Essential Duties below is generic in nature and so some may not be applicable; prospective applicants will find the information in the above Position Focus to be most relevant to the position.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor's Degree in a related field and five years of related work experience.
- Excellent leadership, strategic planning, negotiating, supervisory, and consensus-building skills. Ability to build productive relationships with staff and volunteers to contribute to YAA’s mission. Ability to lead teams and work successfully in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to innovate and to manage projects of all sizes on budget, including complex events. Ability to serve as the key decision-maker while meeting the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet multiple, competing responsibilities and deadlines. Ability to keep priorities aligned while maintaining professionalism, flexibility, and a sense of humor.
- Superior interpersonal skills. Appreciation and respect for principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Ability to engage with diverse audiences (age, gender, nationality, race/ethnicity, profession, etc.).
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills. Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain strict confidentiality.
- Preferred Education and Experience: Experience in alumni relations, volunteer management, educational programming, nonprofits or related field. Demonstrated expertise in supervising staff, leading teams, and working with volunteers in an academic or nonprofit setting. Event planning expertise and thorough knowledge of the University and its academic programs strongly preferred.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at https://bit.ly/YaleCareers-66182BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity,
rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the
country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting
opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our
benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of
insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and
educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive
recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Hamden
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Hamden
- Development & Advancement Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Hamden
- Alumni Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Hamden