Writing Consultant (PT)
Writing Consultant (PT)
Salary: $17.00 per hour
Mohawk Valley Community College provides accessible, high-quality educational opportunities to meet the diverse needs of our students. We are the community’s college, committed to student success through partnerships, transfer and career pathways, and personal enrichment.
The College is looking for exceptional colleagues. We seek candidates with: (1) an understanding of the college mission and teaching experience in a comprehensive community college; (2) a focus on student success in a learner-centered environment; and (3) a willingness to use technology to support learning in the academic setting, including on-line instruction and assessment of student learning outcomes.
MVCC is seeking to fill a part-time position in our Learning Commons. The Writing Consultant is responsible for carrying on all of the activities associated with the Learning Commons Writing Lab including tutoring of students in writing across the curriculum, grammar, reading, and study skills.
A Writing Consultant helps students build confidence and improve academic performance through holistic support, active learning strategies, study skills development, facilitated group study, and individualized instruction.
The ideal candidate is a dedicated learner who is comfortable working with students with a range of academic skills and from a variety of backgrounds.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Assists students with writing across the curriculum;
- Uses probing questions and supported inquiry to help students answer their own question;
- Engages students in active learning practices;
- Discusses course material to strengthen understanding and help students address knowledge gaps;
- Assists students to develop effective study strategies;
- Provides encouragement and motivation to support student retention and completion;
- Maintains accurate records and monitor sign-in stations;
- Refers students to instructors and specialized services such as counseling and advisement as appropriate;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of the Learning Commons.
Mohawk Valley Community College is committed to transforming lives through learning, and as you help students secure the financial resources to pursue their dreams, you will be critical to the College mission and the student experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in English or related field
- Significant experience in academic writing, including knowledge of citation
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Fluency in the subject matter relevant to students’ need
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Master's degree in English or related field of study
- Experience teaching or tutoring at a community college
- Experience using Blackboard
- Experience working with students of diverse backgrounds
Special Instructions to Applicants: Official academic transcripts required upon hire.
Review Start Date: 7/4/2021
Mohawk Valley Community College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, and diversity. MVCC maintains an inclusive learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and global worldview. We value the many similarities and differences among individuals and groups. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in a world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, different abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or on the basis of disability.