Professional Research Assistant - Computing
JILA is encouraging applications for a Professional Research Assistant to join our JILA Computing Team, which has the primary responsibility for providing computer support to JILA scientists, students, and staff.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
JILA is a world-leading research institute with an established reputation for collaboration, creativity, and excellence and is committed to hiring and supporting a diverse and inclusive community of scientists, staff, and students who share a common passion for expanding the boundaries of science for the benefit of all. As a joint institute of the University of Colorado Boulder and the National Institute of Standards and Technology, JILA has a dual focus on expanding the frontiers of scientific knowledge and developing the world’s scientific leaders of the future. We support eclectic and innovative research programs that foster creative collaborations among our scientists. The wide-ranging interests of our scientists have made JILA one of the nation’s leading research institutes in the physical sciences. They explore some of today’s most challenging and fundamental scientific questions about quantum physics, the design of precision optical and x-ray lasers, the fundamental principles underlying the interaction of light and matter, and processes that have governed the evolution of the Universe for nearly 14 billion years. Research topics range from the small, frigid world governed by the laws of quantum mechanics through the physics of biological and chemical systems to the processes that shape the stars and galaxies. JILA science encompasses eight broad categories: Astrophysics, Atomic & Molecular Physics, Biophysics, Chemical Physics, Laser Physics, Nanoscience, Precision Measurement, and Quantum Information Science & Technology. To learn more visit: https://jila.colorado.edu/
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Primary job duties include installing and troubleshooting a variety of computing hardware and peripherals, building computers, working directly with users to resolve issues, providing advice and consultation as requested, and working in dark places surrounded by lasers.
What You Should Know
Physical Requirements include the ability to lift 40 pounds regularly, the ability to bend/twist and physically maneuver in tight surroundings including on ladders, and the ability to see and manually manipulate small items.
What We Can Offer
The salary range for this position is $50K - $70K.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Dynamic. Be Empowered. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Experience installing and troubleshooting Windows.
- Experience creating specifications for and building computers.
- Basic understanding of networking (IP addressing).
- Familiarity with printer installation and troubleshooting.
- Familiarity with malware detection and removal.
What You Will Need
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to learn new technologies and skills.
- Ability to communicate complex or complicated information in an understandable way through verbal and written means to a wide variety of persons.
- Some familiarity with other operating systems (Mac OS, Linux, iOS, Android).
- Commitment to working in a collaborative, positive, and instructive team environment.
- Commitment to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment.
- Willingness to instruct and aid research students and faculty.
- Self-motivated and a team-player.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience with laptop repair.
- Experience with scientific software (e.g. LabView, Matlab, Mathematica).
- Experience with E-Mail client troubleshooting.
- Experience supporting users from the initial call through problem resolution.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter specifically addressing job duties and requirements
- Diversity and Inclusion Statement: Statement on how you will actively contribute to diversity and inclusivity within JILA.
During the application process, you will need to enter contact information for one reference and we will request a letter of recommendation and additional materials if needed, as the search progresses.
Review of applications will begin on Friday, July 16th.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu