Professional Research Assistant - Electronics Analog
JILA is encouraging applications for a Professional Research Assistant to join our JILA Electronics Shop. This position is a highly collaborative team-based position that will engage with a variety of scientists and students to provide consulting and design services which advance JILA research as well as to expand the knowledge and skills development of scientists and students related to analog, electronic design, consultation, repair, test, and production.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
JILA is a world-leading research institute with an established reputation for collaboration, creativity, and excellence and is committed to hiring and supporting a diverse and inclusive community of scientists, staff, and students who share a common passion for expanding the boundaries of science for the benefit of all. As a joint institute of the University of Colorado Boulder and the National Institute of Standards and Technology, JILA has a dual focus on expanding the frontiers of scientific knowledge and developing the world’s scientific leaders of the future. We support eclectic and innovative research programs that foster creative collaborations among our scientists. The wide-ranging interests of our scientists have made JILA one of the nation’s leading research institutes in the physical sciences. They explore some of today’s most challenging and fundamental scientific questions about quantum physics, the design of precision optical and x-ray lasers, the fundamental principles underlying the interaction of light and matter, and processes that have governed the evolution of the Universe for nearly 14 billion years. Research topics range from the small, frigid world governed by the laws of quantum mechanics through the physics of biological and chemical systems to the processes that shape the stars and galaxies. JILA science encompasses eight broad categories: Astrophysics, Atomic & Molecular Physics, Biophysics, Chemical Physics, Laser Physics, Nanoscience, Precision Measurement, and Quantum Information Science & Technology. To learn more visit: https://jila.colorado.edu/
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Provide analog electronics design advice and consultation to JILA scientists.
- Evaluate, test, and repair custom JILA-made devices and commercial equipment that manufacturers no longer support.
- Design, construct and test new equipment to meet the most stringent specifications from JILA Scientists with an emphasis on analog solutions.
- Produce custom-made items on short notice utilizing such tools as a printed-circuit-board and panel-making machine, drill press, and other items.
- Seek out and learn new technologies and skills to support current and future research needs.
- Provide mentoring and instruction to JILA students and others.
What You Should Know
Able to see and manipulate small electronic components, operate various machinery for electronics, and lift 20 pounds regularly.
What We Can Offer
Salary range for this position is $90K - $110K.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Proactive. Be Resourceful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Engineering Physics, or related STEM field.
- Three years of experience working with electronics, preferably in a research setting.
- Demonstrated ability to produce sophisticated analog designs to meet specific and stringent performance requirements.
- Layout/design/assemble/troubleshoot complex PCB projects to meet specific and stringent performance requirements.
- Competency in the following:
- Surface mount soldering
- layout/design/assemble/troubleshoot complex PCB projects
What You Will Need
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to learn new technologies and skills.
- Commitment to working in a collaborative, positive, and instructive environment.
- Willingness to instruct and aid research students and faculty.
- Self-motivated and a team-player.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Commitment to actively contribute to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Interest in serving as a mentor for students and providing informal instruction and advice to colleagues, students, and researchers.
- Working knowledge of:
- Electronic equipment diagnostics and repair
- Mentor Graphics PADS
- RF design experience
- Experience with oscilloscope, spectrum analyzers, network analyzers
- Digital design
- Scientific research and working collaboratively with researchers
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter specifically addressing job duties and requirements
- Diversity and Inclusion Statement: Statement on how you will actively contribute to diversity and inclusivity within JILA.
During the application process, you will need to enter contact information for one reference and we will request a letter of recommendation and additional materials if needed, as the search progresses.
Review of applications will begin on Monday, July 19th.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Engineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Physics & Space Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder