ARC Finance Manager (17149)
The Accountability Research Center (ARC) works to bridge academic research and frontline perspectives to address accountability ideas, institutions, actors, and strategies to improve public accountability. ARC is housed in American University’s (AU) School of International Service (SIS). ARC was established in 2016, and currently has a portfolio with seven (7) open grants from multiple private foundations. The ARC Finance Manager will be responsible for the planning and execution of all finance, personnel, administrative, and operational functions required for the Accountability Research Center ensuring full compliance with all AU policies, practices, and procedure
1. Financial Processing and Transactions:
- Process all invoices, payment requests, reimbursements and other financial transactions ensuring compliance with AU/SIS standards, rules, and procedures
- Track planned / committed expenditures and provide regular reports on fund availability to ARC staff
- Reconcile all ARC expenses on a monthly basis, maintaining accurate ARC internal budget tracking documents
- Use Ellucian Colleague and/or Business Intelligence reports to review and analyze accounting data to identify errors
- Resolve all issues related to expenditures, budgets, wire transfers, grant closeouts, etc.
- Direct procurement using institutional credit card ensuring compliance with AU / SIS standards, rules, and procedures
- Ensure proper fiscal year close, submitting records and files as per instructions from AU / SIS
2. Post-award Grants/Project-Cycle Management:
- Provide financial information and analysis (project spending, uncommitted funds available, and changes in projected program spending) to ARC staff upon request
- Understand the unique budget management rules of funders on all open grants
- Flag any potential need for a budget realignment or non-cost extension through monitoring expenditures (at cost category level and line item)
- Handle all AU internal budget realignment requirements
- Advise ARC colleagues on budgeting at the proposal stage, applying knowledge of post-award systems and processes in AU
- Work with ARC colleagues to ensure that sponsored research budgets are fully expended
Essential Functions (continued)
3. ARC Contract Development and Management:
- Review and submit all vendor registration documents .
- Develop all individual and corporate Professional Services Agreements (PSAs) and submit for processing
- Update internal tracking documents developed by ARC
4. ARC Personnel Planning, Administration and Compliance:
- Complete all hiring forms and stipend requests for ARC student wages, part time staff, and researchers paid by stipend
- Track course releases (past and planned) for ARC Director and all other PI/co-PIs on ARC projects
- Ensure all wages are posted correctly
- Track the academic appointment dates for ARC researchers and inform the Director of need to renew/update appointments, and provide administrative support as requested
5. Operations and Administrative Support:
- Ensure all ARC external accounts are in good financial standing (at present, these include DropBox Professional, Hootsuite, Zoom, WP Engine, GoTranscript, Network Solutions, TeamUp calendar, and others)
- Provide direct support to ARC for planning virtual and in-person events
- Secure facilities, booking travel, booking local transportation, ensuring participant visa requirements are met, and ordering all event supplies and materials
- Book and track all travel-related activities on behalf of ARC project staff
- Coordinate and attend meetings and planning sessions related to research endeavors
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time (28 hours per week)
- Project Leader/Advisor B
- All services must be delivered from within Washington, DC, Maryland, or Virginia (DMV area).
- The position will work in person on the AU campus or work on a hybrid in-person/remote basis per AU HR guidelines.
- This position is contingent on external funding through December 31, 2023.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 4-6 years of relevant experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree or equivalent
- 5-8 years of relevant experience
- Experience in project budget management
- Prior training on compliance, rules, and regulations
- Working proficiency in Spanish
- Prior experience with Ellucian Colleague, Business Intelligence, or other financial management software
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Prior experience in project cycle management, budget management, grants management, post-award financial management and/or contracts management in non-profit or academic setting.
- Flexibility, creativity, and tenacity in problem solving.
- Excellent mastery of spreadsheet applications (development, maintenance, etc.).
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.