Student Accounts Specialist
Student Accounts Specialist
Student Accounts/Cashiers - 35101
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit
The Finance team within the Division of Business Affairs supports the University’s mission, strategic vision, goals, and objectives by providing key financial services efficiently and effectively to students, the campus community, and federal, state and other key university stakeholders. The Student Accounts and University Cashier Office creates, prepares, analyzes, refunds, and reports on a variety of financial transactions and supplemental data for student receivables and serves as the central depository for university revenue including daily department receipts and student tuition, fees and other charges. Student Accounts and University Cashiers Office are also responsible for processing all university student billing; student refunding; third party billing’ student and non-student collection activities; campus department feeds; title IV financial aid accounting, reporting and related drawdowns; and month end fiscal year end closing.
Finance - 35150 College
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to the integration of teaching, mentoring, research and service. Widely acknowledged for its world-class faculty and staff and continuously recognized at a national level for scholarly excellence and affordability, UNCW offers a powerful academic experience that stimulates creative inquiry and critical thinking and a community rich in diversity, inclusion and global perspectives.
A public institution with nearly 18,000 students, UNCW offers a full range of baccalaureate- and graduate-level programs, as well as doctoral degrees in educational leadership, marine biology, nursing practice and psychology; and many distance learning options, including clinical research, an accelerated RN-to- BSN program, an Executive M.B.A. program structured for working professionals, and the nation’s only bachelor’s degree program focused on coastal engineering.
The university’s efforts to advance research and scholarly activities have earned UNCW the elevated designation of “Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity” institution (R2 University) by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
UNCW has been part of the University of North Carolina System since 1969.
Location of Workplace
Main UNCW Campus
Brief Summary of Work for this Position
The Student Accounts Specialist is responsible for the following:
• Provide frontline superior customer service support student accounts and other general student departments
• Communicate professional by email, phone or in person with departments, parents, and students regarding questions
• Assist with orientations and fairs
• Analyze and understand billings and the associated charges on students’ accounts
• Manage a high volume of inbound telephone calls, written requests, and face-to-face service requests
• Gather information from students to effectively understand and evaluate individual circumstances; interpret relevant policies, procedures, and guidelines to identify and explain next steps required for students and families to successfully navigate to resolve their questions
• Proactively contact students with outstanding balances to make them aware and possibly provide solutions before cancellation for non-payment or holds occur
• Research and interpret information for each student and document student communication in Banner
• Assist with developing, revising, and updating processes along with creating and/or editing forms and publications such as the webpage and orientation presentations.
• Excellent listening skills, empathy, and tone with attention to detail while multi-tasking and navigating through multiple computer applications accurately and quickly to document information and task completed
• Monitor and respond to Chatbot live questions timely and provide helpful feedback
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
High school diploma or equivalency and one year of experience in accounting work; or equivalent combination of training and experience
Preferred education, professional skills and experience
• Higher education experience
• Experience with Banner or other Oracle ERP product
• Experience with TouchNet
• Laws and regulations associated with student rights and privacy and information security (e.g. FERPA, PCI, GLBA, Red Flags Rules)
• Experience working with Banner or a comparable complex ERP system
• Ability to analyze processes, detect inefficiencies, and determine solutions
• Ability to multi-task in high volume/fast-paced environment
• Excellent customer service skills and the ability to communicate to all organizational levels, students, and parents
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
Required Certifications or licensure
1.0 (40 hours per week)
Months Per Year
8:00AM - 5:00PM
Type of Position
Anticipated Ending Date if Time-Limited
Job Posting Date
Posting Close Date
Special Notes to Applicants
PLEASE NOTE : This posting will close at 11:59PM (Eastern time) on the posted closing date. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have fully completed the entire application before you apply for this position. Failure to answer all required questions will cause the system to disqualify your application.
For more info/to apply visit http://jobs.uncw.edu. Applications must be submitted through the online application system to be considered.
You will be required to attach a cover letter and resume to successfully apply for this position. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have completed the ‘Work History’ section of the application before you apply for this position.
At the University of North Carolina at Wilmington ( UNCW ), our culture reflects our values of inclusion, diversity, globalization, ethics and integrity and innovation and we are committed to providing equality of educational and employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, sex (such as gender, gender identity, marital status, childbirth, and pregnancy), age, color, national origin (including ethnicity), religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, military service member status, genetic information, or relationship to other university constituents – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or occupational qualifications or where marital status is a statutorily established eligibility criterion for State funded employee benefit programs. UNCW believes that embracing the unique contributions of our faculty, staff and students is critical to our success and paramount in being recognized for our global mindset.
Eligibility for Employment
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. UNC Wilmington participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
External Link to Posting
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 Professional References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Describe your experience working with student
information/records systems including development and/or
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience with Banner Finance or other
Accounting ERP systems?
- No response
- No, none
- Yes, 0-2 years
- Yes, 2-5 years
- More than 5 years
- * How did you learn of this opportunity with UNC Wilmington
- UNCW Website
- UNCW Facebook Page
- UNCW Linkedin Page
- UNCW Twitter Account
- UNCW Employee Referral
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Inside Higher Ed
- North Carolina Job Network
- Women In Higher Education
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Financial Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Other Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington