Job Description Summary
Auburn University Libraries seeks an innovative, knowledgeable, and user-focused individual to serve as the Chemistry Librarian, supporting distinctive programs of research, teaching and learning in the primary liaison areas of Chemistry & Biochemistry and Chemical Engineering, as well as an emerging Bioinformatics program. Reporting to the Head of Research & Instruction Services in Auburn University Libraries, this position proactively engages in performing a variety of duties to include reference and research assistance, collection development, course-integrated instruction, and user support for evolving data, digital and information literacy initiatives. This twelve-month tenure-track position requires professional and scholarly activity as well as service on library and university committees.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES :
• Serve as liaison and provide outreach to students, staff, and faculty in the departments of Chemistry & Biochemistry and Chemical Engineering, as well as an interdisciplinary Bioinformatics program;
• Engage in collection development, management, and assessment, for assigned subject areas;
• Develop outcome-based information literacy instruction sessions and online instructional materials for chemistry and biochemistry and chemical engineering undergraduate and graduate students;
• Teach CHEM 3000, a semester-long, credit-bearing information literacy course focused on effective searching and use of chemistry literature and databases;
• Provide subject-specific research assistance to support teaching, learning, and research in assigned liaison departments and related areas such as drug discovery and development in Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine, and Biological Sciences;
• Provide general reference services, both virtual and in-person, for the University community as well as members of the public; some evening and weekend research and instruction service may be required; and
• Maintain current knowledge of the trends and issues in higher education, and best practices in the Library and Information Science profession that include research data management, data analysis, scholarly communication, and open access publishing.
SALARY / BENEFITS : Starting salary of $56,410 for an Assistant Professor. Rank and salary will be commensurate with experience/qualifications. This is a twelve-month tenure-track position. Benefits include 20 days of vacation leave/12 days of sick leave per year; participation in State Teachers’ Retirement System (mandatory); additional voluntary retirement plans available; health/dental/life/disability insurance.
Auburn University Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries ( ARL ), Association of Southeastern Research Libraries ( ASERL ), Hathi Trust, Coalition for Networked Information ( CNI ), and other organizations of academic institutions. The Libraries completed a strategic plan in alignment with the Auburn University Strategic Plan which is available at: http://ocm.auburn.edu/strategic_plan/2019/ausp2019-2024.pdf.
Auburn University is one of the nation’s premier public land-grant institutions. In 2020, it was ranked 44th among public universities by U.S. News and World Report. Auburn maintains high levels of research activity and high standards for teaching excellence, offering Bachelor’s, Master’s, Educational Specialist, and Doctor’s degrees in agriculture and engineering, the professions, and the arts and sciences. Its 2019 enrollment of 30,460 students includes 24,594 undergraduates and 5,866 graduate and professional students. The University is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, its positive work environment, its student engagement, and its beautiful campus.
Auburn residents enjoy a thriving community, recognized as one of the “best small towns in America,” with moderate climate and easy access to major cities or to beach and mountain recreational facilities. Situated along the rapidly developing I-85 corridor between Atlanta, Georgia, and Montgomery, Alabama, the combined Auburn-Opelika-Columbus statistical area has a population of over 500,000, with excellent public school systems and regional medical centers.
Auburn University is understanding of and sensitive to the family needs of faculty, including dual-career couples. Additional information can be found on our website: http://www.auburn.edu/academic/provost/pdf/guidelines-dual-career-services.pdf.
Auburn University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
• Masters of Library Science or equivalent from an ALA accredited program at the time employment begins;
• Background in chemistry, chemical informatics, or related subject discipline;
• Demonstrated knowledge of chemical information sources;
• Experience teaching or providing instructional services in an academic setting;
• Strong commitment to excellence in public service and improving the user experience; adaptability, flexibility, and willingness to engage in continuous learning to meet the changing needs of library users;
• Excellent interpersonal skills; strong and effective written communication skills;
• Ability to work both independently as well as collegially and productively in a team environment;
• Highly developed analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills; and
• Potential to meet university promotion and tenure requirements for library faculty.
• Advanced degree in chemistry or related subject discipline;
• Experience providing reference, instruction, collection development, or liaison services in an academic library or special library setting;
• Demonstrated knowledge of the research process in the sciences and/or engineering;
• Experience creating content and delivering instruction in online settings;
• Ability to analyze complex quantitative and qualitative data with a knowledge of research data management practices; and
• A record of professional, scholarly research activity.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Application review process has been extended to August 20, 2021 and will continue until a qualified candidate is selected and recommended for appointment. A complete application must include a letter of interest, resume or curriculum vitae, and the names of three current, professional references (please include mailing addresses, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers). The candidate selected for this position must be able to meet eligibility requirements to work in the United States at the time appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the proposed term of employment. For questions, contact the search committee chair, Jaena Alabi at email@example.com
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER . It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Open Until Filled
References required for this position?
If yes, minimum number requested
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting (auemployment.com site)
- Academic Conference
- Agency Referral
- Internal Job Posting
- Personal Referral
- Veterans Assistance Services (Veteran Job Boards, Military Base Services, State Vet Rep, etc.)
- Disability Assistance Services (Disability Job Boards, ABLE Network, Voc-Rehab referral, etc.)
- * Please enter the specifics of the option you selected
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Other Documentation
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Library & Information Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Not specified Full Time jobs in Auburn