Professor and Department Chair of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering
Professor and Department Chair of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering
Summary of Duties and
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and College of Engineering at Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa seeks a Professor and Department Chair for the Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering (ABE). Nominations and applications are sought for a visionary leader with demonstrated capacity to lead this department in all its mission areas. The department and colleges are among the most highly ranked nationally and internationally (weblink), and have a culture of great excellence and accomplishment. The ABE department is co-administered by two colleges and draws capacities and benefits from both.
Candidates are expected to demonstrate a commitment to excellence in discipline-leading education of undergraduate and graduate students, interdisciplinary/transdisciplinary research, relevant extension and outreach programs, and commitment to the local-to-global and diverse outlook of the institution.
The successful applicant for this position is expected to:
- Provide visionary leadership for the department to serve the needs of diverse faculty, staff, students, stakeholders and citizens to fulfill the land-grant mission of the department, colleges and university;
- Serve both the department and the two dean’s offices in accomplishing their missions, and be a collaborative member of the college leadership teams across all missions and academic departments;
- Stimulate and facilitate excellence and impact in all aspects of teaching, research, extension/outreach and service;
- Ensure sound fiscal and budgetary management to achieve the mission of the department and comply with college and university-level policies and practices related to fiscal responsibility and management;
- Recruit and retain the best possible people in all department positions, while promoting inclusivity, equity, diversity, and a local-to-global outlook;
- Recruit and retain a diverse and inclusive student body of undergraduate and graduate students who are prepared to enter many aspects of the engineering, agricultural, technology, natural resources and related arenas as professionals and grow into local-to-global leaders;
- Foster an environment in which all faculty and staff work to realize the department’s purposes and are held accountable for their performance;
- Assist faculty, staff and graduate students to attain resources through extramural funding by encouraging a culture of collaboration and innovation;
- Encourage and foster interdisciplinary collaboration with other departments, centers, and institutes within and external to the university;
- Communicate effectively the mission, vision and strengths of the department and college within Iowa State University and to external stakeholders and collaborators in the public and private sectors;
- Nurture and maintain effective relationships with external stakeholders, including leaders and members of Iowa's various agriculture and engineering organizations and the general public;
- Nurture and maintain good alumni relations and build alumni support through the ISU Alumni Association and the ISU Foundation to support the full spectrum of the department's activities, including raising funds for capital projects and endowments to support all missions; and
- Participate in representational activities on behalf of the department and colleges, including after-hours and travel as may be necessary.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Ph.D.in any of the areas of expertise in the department, or a closely aligned field; and
- Qualifying for tenure in COE or CALS at the rank of Professor, by start date.
- Demonstrated experience in budget/fiscal management of an academic department or university-level unit;
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management, including recruitment, advancement and retainment of faculty and staff;
- Demonstrated experience in diversity, equity and inclusion, and team-building for teaching, research and extension/outreach; and
- Demonstrated experience in working with external stakeholders.
Initial Department Chair appointment is for five years with formal review during year four. This appointment serves at the pleasure of the deans. The position will be filled as a 9 month appointment accompanied by an annual administrative stipend and 2 months of provided summer salary during service as chair. This position has expected percentages of 85 % administrative and 15% in some combination of teaching, research and outreach, and service.
Proposed Start Date:
January 1, 2022 (start date is negotiable)
- University information
- College information
- Department information
- Region information
Proposed Start Date: January 1, 2022
Number of Months Employed Per Year: 09 Month Work Period
Time Type: Full time
Pay Grade: 00 (Faculty)
Please apply online at https://isu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/IowaStateJobs/job/Ames-IA/Professor-and-Department-Chair-of-Agricultural-and-Biosystems-Engineering_R4943
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled with review of applications beginning on August 12, 2021.
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for three to five professional references (At least 1 external reference is required for internal candidates). References will not be contacted without permission from the applicant.
- One page statements on each of the following: vision for research, teaching, extension/outreach, and how the applicant would contribute to the ISU Principles of Community in all aspects of work and on behalf of the department, and colleges. Iowa State University's Principles of Community found here: https://www.diversity.iastate.edu/connect/principles (total of four statements).
If you have questions regarding this application process, please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Job Requisition Number: R4943
Iowa State University is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 30,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community.
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Ames
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Ames
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Ames
- Engineering Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Ames