Athens State University
The carpenter position involves the performance of duties involving
roughed and finished carpentry. These duties are essential in order
to insure that the carpentry demands are accomplished as
expeditious as possible. While performing these duties, all
necessary precautions are taken to assure the safety of Athens
State University faculty, staff, students and visitors.
- Repairs and makes alterations to walls, floors, roofs,
stairways, doors, windows, etc.
- Constructs partitions, concrete forms, wood fixtures,
- Builds cabinets, computer workstations, bookcases,
- Pours and finishes concrete.
- Hangs and finishes sheetrock.
- Repairs and replaces door locks, closures and various locksmith
- Applies paint, stain, varnish, enamel, or lacquer to decorate
and protect interior and exterior surfaces.
- General painting
- Installs bulletin and glass boards.
- Cuts and installs paneling, trim, ceilings and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
• High School diploma or equivalent.
• Minimum of five years of carpentry experience.
REQUIRED LICENSE, CERTIFICATION, OR SPECIAL CREDENTIALS:
• Valid driver license.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Ability to operate power driven woodworking equipment such as
power saws, jointers, planners, etc.
• Ability to repair hardware.
• Ability to operate light earth moving equipment such as
trenchers, backhoes, front-end loaders, boom lift and scissor lift,
• Ability to communicate with supervisor and co-workers
• Math skills to measure and determine required materials for
• Ability to read drawings, blueprints and specifications.
• Knowledge of Alabama building codes and ADA codes.
• Ability to follow routine verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to work independently.
• Maintain a safe work environment.
• Ability to react to change productively.
• Must be able to exert up to 75 pounds of force occasionally,
and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds
of force constantly to move objects
• Frequently climb (ladders, scaffold, or other)
• Must have full range of mobility in upper and lower body; be able
to reach overhead; be able to work in various positions, including
stooping, standing, bending over, sitting, kneeling and squatting
for extended periods of time; be able to lift, pull and push
materials and equipment to complete assigned job tasks
Salary Band: N298
To view salary schedules visit: https://www.athens.edu/human-resources/salary-schedule-tables/
Salary will be commensurate with experience and
Special Instructions to Applicants
Unofficial transcripts should be from the college or university
which verifies minimum qualifications for the position. Upon an
offer of employment, official transcripts from all colleges and
universities attended must be submitted. Continued employment is
contingent upon receipt of transcripts from all colleges and
Please provide contact information for three professional
references on your application.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and
apply on line at the following link: https://jobs.athens.edu/postings/search
About Athens State University
Located in historic Athens, Alabama, Athens State University offers
junior and senior-level coursework to community college graduates
and transfer students holding sufficient credits from other
institutions. Presently, over 3,100 students have selected Athens
State because of its neighborly environment where 50 majors and
degree programs are offered, with courses taught by a supportive
and exceptional faculty. Approximately 80% of the students are
enrolled in at least one online course. The typical student is a
working adult who commutes. Recently, the University was featured
in the 2015 Best Value Online College Rankings by OnlineU.org for
four online programs including computer science, accounting,
education and human resources. The University offers undergraduate
degree programs in Liberal Arts, Teacher Preparation, and Business.
The University employs more than 350 full and part-time employees
with approximately 90 full-time faculty members in three colleges:
College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, and College of
Education. Seventy-five percent of the full-time faculty members
hold a terminal degree. The University is accredited by the
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on
Athens, Alabama is located in north Alabama equidistant between
Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL. Athens is home to several events
and festivals that have been featured as the Southeast Tourism
Society’s “Top 20 Events in the Southeast” including the Athens
Storytelling Festival and the Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers
In accordance with Athens State University Policy and guidelines,
the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a
consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be
contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from that
criminal background check.
Non-Discrimination Policy Statement Athens State University, as
an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution, complies with
all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination
and affirmative action. Athens State University does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age,
marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, religion, genetic
information, or veteran status in employment, or admissions to or
participation in educational programs and activities. Inquiries or
concerns may be addressed to the Office of the Vice President of
Enrollment and Student Support Services, 300 N. Beaty St., Athens,
AL 35611, 256- 233-8175.