Provides academic advising to adult students in the School of Arts, Sciences and Business.
1. Respond appropriately and in a timely fashion to student requests for academic advice via telephone and e-mail and through personal appointments
2. Maintain accurate records of student progress toward degree of choice
3. Audit enrollment patterns and provide input to the department chairs and the dean as to class schedule development
4. Communicate academic policies to students clearly and equitably
5. Meet bi-monthly with the Dean of SOAS and quarterly with department chairs and Dean
6. Meet regularly with department chairs to clarify policy and address student cases
7. Periodically represent the institution at off-site location advising sessions
8. Represent the undergraduate programs at recruitment events as needed
9. Support major University events such as student Orientation and Commencement.
10. Assist Associate Dean with Study Abroad activities for all students.
11. Performs such similar, comparable or related duties as may be assigned or required
Qualifications:Knowledge: Masters degree in a related field. Experience: Experience in higher education and administrative settings. Background in student advising highly desirable. Skills/Aptitude: Must have excellent oral and written communication skills. Knowledge of counseling and problem-solving skills are essential. Detail oriented and exceptional organizational skills required. Ability to deal with confidential student matters and interact positively with all levels of University personnel and with outside contacts is essential. Demonstrate ability to interact with adult learners with empathy and respect. Make independent decisions, prioritize and carry through projects with a minimum of supervision. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs and be willing to train on the campus academic records database. Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Schedule may be flexible to meet the needs of students and faculty; evening and weekend coverage as needed