Finance, Data Analytics & Data Assessment Manager
Environmental Design (ENVD) is excited to announce that we are hiring a Finance, Data Analytics & Data Assessment Manager! This position will support the Program Director, management team, faculty, staff, and students with the budget, budget planning, payroll, contracts, scholarship, data analytics, data assessment, CRM management and reporting to benefit the Program. This position manages financial resources in a manner consistent with fiscal policies, procurement procedures, and donor intent. This position implements practices and processes, advises Program community members about and ensures compliance with policies, rules and regulations, and has a key role in developing, implementing, and enabling data-driven decision-making in the program. This position actively participates in strategic financial planning and tracking for the Program. The incumbent works closely with staff in the Office of Data Analytics and other campus partners to adhere to established guidelines, designs, develops, implements, and supports the generation of reports that provide leadership with insight into operational activities, academic programs, and research efforts within the program. The incumbent supports key leaders with the complex design, development, and implementation of reports and analytics, and establishes practices related to Business Intelligence tools and continuous improvement processes.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Program in Environmental Design orients engagement to the creation of healthy and sustainable communities with attention to social justice and economic vitality. Environmental design is inherently place-based. It supports innovation of and intervention in places.
Efficacy and ethics demand that environmental design engages with the users of these places. We do so in ways that are both collaborative and interdisciplinary, as well as integrate engaged scholarship, evidence-based practice and experiential learning to serve community needs.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- In this role, the incumbent adheres to established guidelines and develops systems to implement policies and procedures for all responsibilities.
- Position interprets fiscal policy and keeps Program Director abreast of proper fiscal procedures, changes and yearly updates.
- This position is the ENVD representative to campus partners and is the liaison for all accounting, payroll and procurement activities.
- Monitors communications from Accounting and Business Support, Procurement Service Center, Sponsored Projects, Campus Controller’s Office, Bursar’s Office, Financial Aid, etc., and implements policies and procedures ensuring ENVD is compliant with all regulations and requirements.
- Working with ENVD’s management team, the position is responsible for forecasting the program’s financial performance and preparation of the year’s budget.
- Manages an annual budget of approximately $4,000,000.
- Comprehensively develops, organizes and tracks budget and expenses on a monthly cycle.
- Prepares and reviews budget reports, budget transfers and transactions, utilizing queries in PeopleSoft and CIW to assist in research, resolution, and reconciling monthly financial statements.
- Meets with Program Director to discuss reports on budget at a detail level, including tracking and organizing sub-budgets,
- Conducts independent analyses of actual expenses (vs budgeted expenses). Manages, balances and analyzes all general fund, auxiliary, grant, and gift accounts to ensure accuracy in posting of revenues and expenses.
- Provides monthly statements to all staff that have oversight of sub-budget areas.
- Reviews budget and performs internal audit to identify errors or abnormal balances on financial statements, and processes correcting journal entries and cash transfers in a timely manner.
- Tracks fiscal year-end activities.
- Works closely with the VCAA Financial Service Center (FSC) to correctly process expense reports, reimbursements, honorarium payments, purchase orders, and other purchasing transactions. Authorizes all financial transactions and forms sent to the FSC.
- Works closely with Budget and Fiscal Planning to stay abreast of current funding and planning resources and to facilitate strategic fiscal planning.
- Reviews annual operating budget to determine available funding for program-related expenses such as equipment purchases and routine purchasing decisions, deferring to the management team for large dollar expenditures and long-term commitments.
Procurement, Payroll, and Expense Systems
- Maintains and purchases equipment, office and program supplies and makes decisions about purchasing processes.
- Serves as point of contact for campus issues involving returns, refunds or other problems with purchases or payments. With VCAA FSC staff, researches various purchase and accounts payable issues and takes correcting actions.
- Manages contracts for purchases, rental or service agreements for business needs of the ENVD Program, e.g.: copier, service agreements with OIT.
- Establishes contracts with outside speakers, visiting scholars/artists, and suppliers assist with event planning and assist student organization leaders in their planning as needed.
- Manages all employee and non-employee reimbursements.
- Facilitates the process of acquiring guest speakers, lodging, compensation and reimbursements, etc., manages travel arrangements for visiting speakers, lecture hall reservations, catering, equipment rental, publications and advertising, etc.
- Follows all campus procedures and proper routing channels to generate and prepare all hires of faculty, staff and students, routing offer letters and verifying acceptances are received prior to HCM approval. Sets up appointments and funding in PeopleSoft/HCM. Communicates regularly to update supervisor and employee on the status and next steps.
- Manages PeopleSoft financials [PBM3] and HCM systems to ensure ENVD data is accurate.
- Ensures monthly and bi-weekly payroll is processed, reviews payroll registers in a timely fashion, identifies errors and problems (i.e. deficits, suspense transactions, payroll problems), works with Human Resources Service Center (HRSC) staff regarding discrepancies including correcting errors.
- Implements HR policies and practices for the Program in compliance with campus and university requirements.
- Attends campus HR Liaison Meetings, monitors communications from campus HR and Employee Services for new requirements, assesses impacts to the ENVD Program and communicates announcements to ENVD leadership team and personnel.
- Working with other ENVD staff designs and oversees an effective process for onboarding new employees into the unit and provides an orientation for all new hires to personnel and leave policies, verifying training requirements are completed.
MarketPlace/CONCUR Travel and Expense Systems
- Serves as ENVD’s primary liaison for procuring items and services as needed using CU MarketPlace and procurement card.
- Serves as ENVD approving official for travel and procurement cards, and expense system transactions.
- Adheres to University rules and regulations regarding travel, University Travel Card and Procurement Card.
- Provides support and assistance to faculty and staff who have CU procurement cards, and ensures appropriate monthly reports are submitted.
- Educates ENVD personnel and clarifies rules and monitors staff and faculty usage. Advises on travel policies and assists with reimbursements when appropriate.
- Troubleshoots inconsistencies as they arise.
- Maintains vending machine petty cash fund and issues refunds.
Contracts and Grants Management/Scholarships
- In collaboration with the Office of Contracts and Grants (OCG), sets up policies for the ENVD Program.
- Provides support and training for faculty, staff and students implementing financial processes to initiate and maintain new and existing grant fund awards and activities, including information updates, grant award status, authorization of purchases and allocation of expenses.
- Prepares financial reports of grant fund activity.
- Assists grant managers in fulfilling requirements when funding of payroll is from grant account, working with appropriate managers on grant funds and speed types.
- Oversees expenses made to grant accounts.
- Works with campus partners to secure funding sources, e.g.: foundation support for events.
- Monitors CU Foundation accounts and endowments for the ENVD Program.
- Manages speed type setup and advises on donor intent.
Academic Works and Scholarship Committee
- Updates and maintains scholarship opportunity information - At the outset of the academic year, prepares the ENVD Academic Works account to reflect accurate information for each available scholarship opportunity: scholarship amount, eligibility requirements, and deadlines for all processes. Scholarship sources include endowed awards, ENVD general fund scholarships, to include recruitment and annual scholarships, and Designers Without Boundaries (DWB) scholarships in collaboration with ODECE.
- Serves on the Scholarship Committee and collaborates with other committee members on all scholarship processes.
- Communicates award decisions to students and monitors acceptances and final awarding processes.
- In this role, the incumbent works closely with staff in the Office of Data Analytics and other campus partners to adhere to established guidelines, designs, develops, implements, and supports generation of reports that provide leadership with insight into operational activities, academic programs, and research efforts within the program.
- In addition, this role creates, maintains, and deploys surveys; as well as data analysis and reporting of all collected data.
- The position is a resource to help faculty, students, and staff with analytics-related activities including assessment and study design, analysis support, and advice on how to make use of available tools, software, etc.
Data Assessment Specialist
- The position manages all processes related to CRM data assessment for the program. Assesses current software platform, data gathering/reporting, and implementation practices; and offers suggestions for improvement.
- Works with campus partners to negotiate higher-level use of campus-provided data platforms.
- Develops, tests, maintains, administers, and analyzes the existing and new sets of programmatic surveys. Develops user-centric analysis and performs measurement and ad-hoc analyses to address specific questions.
- Updates and maintains student, alumni and design professional CRM; tracks student engagement/involvement, student scholarship data, internships and alumni employment.
- Develops interactive reports and advanced data visualizations to present insights and recommendations to the program and administration. Establishes standards for all visualizations to deliver a consistent experience.
- Works to further the Program’s data assessment capabilities by collaborating with Program faculty & staff, the CU Boulder Office of Data Analytics, and the CU Boulder Division of Student Affairs.
- Works with Program faculty and staff to strategically develop processes for gathering Program contacts.
- Partners with the Office of Data Analytics team on the development of datasets that support report visualizations and maintains the internal Tableau Server folder for all ENVD data visualizations.
- Stays current on-campus policies and procedures as they relate to data security and FERPA.
- Follows policies to ensure that the sensitive data, with which this person is entrusted, is protected from unauthorized disclosure or other improper use.
- Manages Finance Assistant position which provides support for the ENVD Program.
- Responsibilities include budget and financial activities, assisting with budget planning and oversight, preparing and reviewing budget reports and supporting processes for contracts and grants.
- Position prepares expense and travel reports for faculty and staff and is back-up approver in MarketPlace and Concur.
- Position prepares and tracks invoicing as needed for auxiliary and fund 33 accounts.
- The position will also employ student assistants as necessary.
What We Can Offer
The salary range for this position is $65,000-$80,000. Relocation is available if not local.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Ambitious. Be Innovative. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- A bachelor’s degree in a field within the arts & humanities, public administration, arts administration, business administration, accounting, finance, or similar discipline.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
- Three years of progressively responsible financial and operational management.
- Two years of professional experience with data management and data architecture.
What You Will Need
- Analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proficient project manager with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Detail-oriented with a strong ability to understand constituent needs and lead teams toward a common goal.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency with CRM, data management, creating surveys, interactive reports, and advanced data visualizations.
- Sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural, political, and geographical differences, with the ability to work well with faculty, staff, and students from around the world.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience working at the University of Colorado, or another institution of higher education.
- Experience working with multiple units and/or organizations to increase collaboration and communication with multiple ENVD and campus units.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the university, state, and federal rules. Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, and fiscal principles and practices in a higher education environment, including, budgeting and fund accounting.
- Ability to interpret complex University policies and procedures, and to take the initiative to evaluate existing processes and procedures, and when necessary, revise or develop new procedures in order to increase departmental efficiencies.
- Experience with CU systems, such as PeopleSoft (HCM and Finance), ISIS, Marketplace, etc.
- Professional experience in Tableau or other enterprise BI development tools doing data analysis and visualization.
- One-year experience with Qualtrics Research Core (or related systems), survey design, and survey best practices.
- Master's degree in arts & humanities, public administration, arts administration, business administration, accounting, finance, or similar field.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by 6/30/2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Institutional Research & Planning Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder