Senior Instructional Designer (17129)
The Senior Instructional Designer participates in the planning, design, development, and delivery of high-quality, engaging, digital learning experiences. The position requires the ability to collaborate effectively with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) in creating traditional, online, and hybrid or blended courses and programs. The Senior Instructional Designer is responsible for instructional design, project management, developing instructional materials to support transformation in curriculum design, innovative use of technology and enhanced learning outcomes. This position manages the course lifecycle, from inception through course implementation, for existing and new program developments.
- Support new course design and course revisions of existing online/hybrid courses. Work with faculty to design effective, pedagogically sound online, hybrid, and hyflex courses for delivery through Canvas (and/or Blackboard). Assist in the creation of online assignments, activities and assessments to ensure alignment with the pedagogical objectives for the course. In consultation with faculty, review, edit, reorganize course content, and identify opportunities for multimedia elements throughout each lesson developed for the course.
- Build collaborative positive working relationships with faculty during one-on-one and group consultations and facilitate or support workshops on the effective use of instructional design strategies, web-based resources, multimedia technologies, and instructional software and systems to improve teaching for online delivery. Assist faculty in all aspects of teaching including, but not limited to, syllabus development, aligning learning outcomes with assessments, using third party tools, and incorporating innovative and evidence-based pedagogies.
- Coordinate the development of instructional materials that are functional, informative, and consistent with inclusive pedagogical and instructional design principles. Identify assessment criteria used to judge learner's understanding, provide feedback to learners, and develop assessment instruments. Assist in the evaluation of the instructional effectiveness of programs, courses, and training products. Build collaborative positive working relationships with cross functional teams to ensure successful project completion.
- Stay current with recent research, trends, and advancements in pedagogy, educational technologies, and other issues related to the design and implementation of online/hybrid courses through reading articles, researching information, participating in seminars, conferences, make recommendations, and work with faculty, and other course authors to ad opt and implement current strategies and technologies related to online/hybrid delivery. Collaborate with technology teams to develop and implement courses development strategies guided by learning analytics and other critical metrics relevant to student success. Support the development of initiatives involving new technologies focused on student engagement and success. Maintains functional competency with media design and creation skills, LMS tools, and associated educational technologies to perform assigned duties.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Project Leader/Advisor B
- This is a union-eligible position. The union-eligibility of individual position incumbents will be determined based on the incumbent’s employer of record.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree (preferably in Education, Instructional Design, Instructional Technology or related field)
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Working knowledge of instructional design, course development, and technology associated with creating online and blended learning solutions.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree
- 4-6 years of relevant experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- In-depth knowledge of learning theories and instructional design models to apply trends and best practices in instructional design.
- Ability to develop instructional content compliant with Shareable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) and Section 508 Accessibility requirements.
- Basic knowledge of HTML, CSS and visual design skills (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat); visualizing instructional graphics, the user interface, and the finished product.
- Skill using computer programs in the development of training curriculum including word processing, presentation software and learning platform technologies (for example Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat,, Photoshop, Articulate, and Captivate).
- Demonstration of highly effective skills in verbal and written communication.
- Ability to build relationships and trust.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Arts Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Design & Graphic Arts Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Instructional Technology & Design Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.