Visiting Assistant Professor of Art
The Coker University McCall School of Visual and Performing Arts seeks an artist and professor to join the Art Program for the position of Visiting Assistant Professor of Art beginning August 2021 with the possibility of tenure track after the first year. This is a full-time, 9-month position with competitive salary and benefits. The successful candidate will report to the Dean of the School of Visual and Performing Arts. Review of application materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The Art Program is seeking an individual who is motivated, collaborative, and inclusive, with a strong desire to lead our 3D area. Applicants should display an ability to lead our three-dimensional art areas and be proficient in traditional and contemporary approaches to ceramics and sculpture. Candidates whose creative research engages time-based or expanded fields within the media are also encouraged to apply. The Art Program is a NASAD-accredited program, offering B.A. and B.F.A degree options. The B.A. is in Art with concentrations in Fine Art, Graphic Design, Photography, and Art Education. The B.F.A. degree is in Studio Art.
The ideal candidate must be passionate about teaching; dedicated to developing meaningful, collegial working relationships with students, faculty, and staff across campus; eager to contribute their interests and ideas for new and innovative courses and programs; dedicated to helping build cross-disciplinary connections with other programs; and committed to actively contributing to Coker University’s mission. The ideal candidate should have proven experience working with all levels of undergraduate students and should be comfortable teaching majors and non-majors. Opportunities to teach study abroad courses are also available.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience teaching college-level classes in 3D studio art, art history and/or art appreciation. The successful candidate will have an active exhibition record. An earned MFA degree in studio art (3D discipline) is required.
- Teach foundational to advanced studio art courses in Sculpture and Ceramics to BA and BFA undergraduate art students.
- Maintain and supervise the Woodshop and Ceramics Studio
- Teach a course in Art History or Art Appreciation (to be determined by consultation with art faculty)
- Ability to teach foundational courses, such as 3D & 2D Design (or their equivalent).
- Participate in curriculum development and planning, program assessment, and accreditation
- Demonstrate active learning strategies in the classroom/studio, encouraging all students to succeed regardless of their prior experience in the arts or within higher education.
- Collaborate with faculty within the School of Visual and Performing arts, as well as across the University.
- Demonstrate an ability to design an innovative curriculum in Sculpture and Ceramics, from introductory to advanced levels, that engages with thematic and/or conceptual concerns of contemporary art.
- Has a vision that considers our unique location and community in the Pee Dee Region of South Carolina, including, but not limited to, its history and natural resources.
- Experience in and/or willingness to teach stacked courses in which upper level students mentor beginning level students.
- Vision and/or willingness to collaborate on a dynamic new foundations-level curriculum.
- Experience teaching beyond the graduate school level.
To apply, please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, portfolio of 20 examples of students’ work with descriptions, professional portfolio of 20 works with evidence of conceptual development, copies of academic transcripts, and complete contact information for three professional references to email@example.com and complete the Coker University Employment Application . Portfolio materials (student and professional) should be uploaded as PDF, JPEG, PowerPoint slideshow or a website link. Review of application materials will begin immediately.
Apply for Visiting Assistant Professor of Art
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly