The Baylor College of Medicine, Director: Accounts Payable is responsible for all aspects of the strategy, development, deployment, and management of Accounts Payable. This position also works-cross functionally and collaboratively with all BCM stakeholder functions and departments, senior/mission leadership, and Supply Chain Services to make sure that BCM Accounts Payable is aligned with overall BCM objectives. This Director role will be responsible for the transformation of the BCM Accounts Payable function - both recommending and operationalizing the strategies that are fundamental to this transformation.
The AP Director will be responsible for the day to day management of the College’s vendor payables, which includes the cash flow impacts on the College’s working capital/finances as well as the monitoring of aged payables on the College’s balance sheet maintained by the Accounting organization.
The AP Director will monitor the timely processing of invoices in SAP and ensure the effectiveness of key financial statement controls occurring at each point in the Procure to Pay process from requisition to payment, most notably the execution of a three-way match control prior to payment authorization.
The AP Director will ensure the proper classification and accounting cut-off of invoices payable within the College’s accounting records prior to inclusion in the SAP AP subledger.
This position leads the end-to-end Accounts Payable process that starts with invoice receipt from stakeholders, suppliers, and service providers to payment and reconciliation and reporting. This position will have matrixed reporting to the VP, Supply Chain Services and the Executive Director, Controller. The Director, Accounts Payable will manage a team of 12, to include Concur transaction processing. This role will develop an Accounts Payable roadmap for transformation and change and will be expected to lead the function with uniform procedures across the segment. This position will develop and establish business and operational plans to create the infrastructure, skillsets, and capabilities for delivering a best in class capability across the Baylor College of Medicine. The Director will serve as the principal spokesperson for the function.
- Develop a roadmap for transforming the Accounts Payable function, restructuring by College mission.
- Build an organization that is best-in-class with lean processes.
- Create a customer centric A/P service, delivering new value across all BCM missions.
- Measure and report employee and customer satisfaction with the BCM A/P function.
- Develop disbursement metrics with well-defined key performance indicators and report quarterly.
- Develop and institute well-defined AP procedures that maintain Uniform Guidance, compliance, and regulatory requirements, so as to protect the Baylor College of Medicine by mitigating risk and complying with all federal, state, and local laws.
- Lead in the upgrade of BCM’s SAP upgrade implementation.
- Build the infrastructure and team to transform the end-to-end A/P function and support BCM through its ERP reimplementation and beyond.
- Develop strong working relationships with all internal stakeholders and leadership to become a trusted partner.
- Create standard processing and verification practices with legal, finance, and compliance.
- Benchmark BCM A/P with other medical and healthcare industry providers using recognized benchmarking companies (Hackett, CAPS, Accenture, Deloitte, EY, etc.).
- Interface with internal customers and grants accounting groups on payables for grant-funded buying and sponsored research, including FAR compliance.
- Maximize the use of GPO contracts and agreements.
- Master’s degree.
- Seven years of relevant experience.
- Additional professional certifications in Finance also preferred.
- A minimum of ten years of progressive leadership experience in a highly decentralized organization.
- Management responsibility and A/P authority over more than $150 million annual spend.
- Extensive experience with procurement processes, tools, and metrics, with a proven track record of building out and managing within the end-to-end procurement value chain.
- Proven record of accomplishments in creating well defined procedures and best practices to include compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Knowledge of Uniform Guidance and FAR regulations is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of P2P tools, SAP ERP systems, contracting tools, and spend analytics.
- Ability to increase visibility of the entire BCM spending map and supplier mix details and analyze opportunities for consolidation in spend and the addition of suppliers & service providers that will provide new value.
- Well versed in creating a consistent package for reporting and business impact.
- Knowledge of SAP, Lawson, Jagger and McKesson automation and supply chain procurement tools.
- Experience in process ownership and aggregating spending and use of common suppliers and service providers in a highly complex and decentralized organization.
- Executive presence, judgement, and positive personal track record in leading in a dynamic organization.
- Dynamic and polished communication style and capability across all executive and management levels, displaying executive presence, savvy and collegiality.
- The highest of personal integrity, honesty, business ethics and respect in dealing with people and organizations.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.