Chief People Officer
How to Apply
Please apply by July 7, 2021 at this location: https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/199340/chief_people_officer
A detailed cover letter is required. Please upload through the U-M Careers website as the first page(s) of a single, electronic document that also includes your resume. Your cover letter should address your interest in the position and outline your directly relevant experience. The salary range is $170,000 to $200,000 with a higher salary possible for well-qualified applicants.
The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) is looking for a positive, experienced leader who can develop and execute employee experience strategies that align with our newly articulated mission, vision, and values, with an emphasis on inclusion and well-being. This new position offers an opportunity to creatively promote positive change as we explore new ways of working and lean into our commitment to foster a culture of purpose and well-being. You will provide strategic leadership and vision for LSA Human Resources, while also leading the staff team working in our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Office, a total of 4 direct reports and 30 additional team members.
Priorities for this role include: (1) alignment as we continue integrating our DEI and human resources practices; (2) strategy and engagement as we reimagine how we work and support professional growth for staff; and (3) collaboration to advance college priorities related to anti-racism and accessibility for employees with disabilities. You will report to the Chief of Staff and serve on the college’s administrative leadership team.
Why Work at LSA?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, the University of Michigan offers comprehensive benefits to help you stay well and to support you as you plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
While you will primarily work from our central campus in Ann Arbor, LSA offers flexible work options. To support work-life balance, LSA has an email policy that limits non-essential emails to weekday business hours.
What you’ll do
- Develop and oversee the strategy and direction for human resources; lead efforts to further integrate DEI into the college’s human resources practices and align our processes with LSA’s mission, vision, and values, with an emphasis on recruiting, retaining, and supporting a diverse employee community.
- Assess and update professional development practices to maximize access and opportunities for staff; reimagine approaches to recruitment, employee onboarding, staff recognition, performance management, and exit practices.
- Foster innovation related to workplace well-being, employee engagement, and flexible work.
- Provide executive leadership for LSA Human Resources, administrative leadership for staff working in the LSA Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Office, and supervise a pilot program for employee disability accommodations.
- Partner with college leaders to advance employee-related components of strategic priorities and areas of action, including anti-racism efforts and workplace accessibility.
- Engage and build relationships with department/program chairs, directors, and unit administrators to provide outstanding support across the college.
- Lead workgroups, committees, and all-staff meetings and present on multiple topics.
- Other responsibilities as assigned. These statements reflect the general nature and level of work for this role and should not be interpreted as all-inclusive.
We are looking for someone who will amplify our values and has a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. You should be a self-starter who is enthusiastic about building positive culture and relationships. Additionally, you should understand the challenges and opportunities of a large, complex organization and have the following:
- 10+ years of progressive experience in complex organization(s) with a substantial (though not necessarily exclusive) focus on human resources, organizational strategy, or people development.
- Knowledge of contemporary DEI issues and how to practically apply organizational diversity commitments; experience implementing diversity change efforts.
- Master’s degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to create a positive culture characterized by collaboration, creativity, transparency, and credibility.
- Experience developing a strategic vision or experience creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Experience navigating ambiguity, making independent judgments, recommending courses of action, and balancing competing priorities.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills; strong presentation skills.
- Experience handling sensitive and confidential matters with integrity.
- Significant experience leading and developing people and teams.
These qualifications are an advantage:
- Degree or formal training related to organizational development, change management, organizational behavior, or diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Prior experience in a higher education environment.
LSA is the largest and one of the oldest of the university’s 19 schools and colleges, with more than 100 degree programs in over 75 academic departments and programs. Learn more about LSA at https://lsa.umich.edu. The college has a large workforce of approximately 1,200 staff, 1,500 faculty, 1,800 graduate student appointees and research fellows, and an additional 2,000 temporary employees.
We seek to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, fulfill our mission, vision, and values, and sustain the excellence of LSA.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative $150,000 - $199,999 Full Time jobs in Ann Arbor
- Academic Affairs Administrative $150,000 - $199,999 Full Time jobs in Ann Arbor
- Academic Administration Administrative $150,000 - $199,999 Full Time jobs in Ann Arbor
- Other Academic Affairs Administrative $150,000 - $199,999 Full Time jobs in Ann Arbor