William Paterson University invites applications for the
full-time, 12 month position of Counselor/Multicultural Specialist
within the Counseling, Health and Wellness Center.
The Center seeks a licensed Psychologist, Clinical Social Worker
or Professional Counselor with demonstrated cross-cultural
knowledge and understanding, as well as a dedication and commitment
to counseling students who are culturally diverse and have
The William Paterson University Counseling, Health and Wellness
Center is dedicated to providing clinical, educational, and
outreach services in support of William Paterson students. The
Center is welcoming, accepting and dedicated to serving a
culturally diverse student population seeking to make informed
decisions about their physical and emotional well-being.
For more information, please visit https://www.wpunj.edu/health-wellness/about/
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing students with culturally proficient individual and
group counseling, treatment planning, triage assessments, referrals
to resources and follow-up services internal and external to the
University via in-person and telehealth student visits.
- Using best practices and evidence based research to evaluate
the effectiveness of departmental services, outreach and support;
ensuring that services are responsive to the beliefs, interpersonal
styles, attitudes, language and behaviors of culturally diverse
individuals and groups.
- Collaborating, consulting, and serving as liaison to other
department clinicians regarding multicultural and culture specific
practices and services.
- Implementing mental health best practices for face-to-face and
virtual outreach programming to promote the health and well-being
of multicultural student groups.
- Facilitating referral and after-care services to ancillary
providers where needed; case management and coordination of care
with Health Center staff to develop comprehensive treatment
- Providing consultation services to faculty and staff seeking
assistance with students; following up with emergency intervention
- Representing the Center on division-wide committees, at student
learning fairs, Open House, Homecoming, move-in, and other assigned
division and university-wide functions in support of the student
body and the University's mission.
- Rotating with other staff in providing overnight and weekend
on-call coverage and consultation.
- Earned doctoral degree in clinical or counseling psychology
from an accredited college or university; consideration given to
candidate with a master's degree in social work, or a master's
degree in mental health counseling.
- Licensure as a psychologist in the state of New Jersey;
license-eligibility in New Jersey within one year of hire will be
- Social work candidates must possess an LCSW in the state of New
- Master level counselor candidates must possess an LPC in New
- Available for phone on-call emergency services.
- Demonstrated skills in assessing and treating a wide range of
disorders and levels of function; experience responding to and
assessing patients in crisis.
- Experience working with clients of diverse backgrounds; able to
provide culturally relevant clinical services to diverse and
- SIFI certification.
- Experience in an institution of higher education, working with
university level students and/or young adults.
- Demonstrated interest in the higher education environment.
- Desire to participate in a vibrant and collaborative Division
of Student Development.
- Supervising experience.
- Working knowledge of social service resources in Northern New
- Experience using telehealth platforms to deliver patient
- Experience providing outreach programs.
- Experience making presentations to audiences of various
Personal Attributes and Traits:
- Ability to envision goals and outcomes and to identify,
evaluate, and allocate resources as necessary.
- Capable of listening to many points of view without bias while
understanding what it takes to be fair and respectful of the
individuality of others.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative
environment as well as independently.
- Ability to communicate in an effective and efficient manner
both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidence and self-reliance
to fulfill professional and personal roles.
Interested candidates will be prompted to:
Complete an application
Submit a cover letter and resume
Provide names/contacts of three
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue
until the position is filled. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org should
you have any general questions related to this search.
About William Paterson University
William Paterson University is the third most diverse public
university in New Jersey. As a longstanding member of the Hispanic
Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU), we have been
designated by the US Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving
Institution. William Paterson University is also proud to be
designated as a NASA MSI (Minority Serving Institution). The
University offers more than 250 undergraduate and graduate academic
programs that range from liberal arts and sciences to
pre-professional and professional programs; it enrolls over 9,000
students from across the country and from over 40 nations. The
University is situated on a beautiful, 380-acre suburban campus in
Wayne, New Jersey, just twenty miles west of New York City.