William Paterson University invites applications for the full-time, 12 month position of Counselor/Multicultural Specialist within the Counseling, Health and Wellness Center.
The Center seeks a licensed Psychologist, Clinical Social Worker or Professional Counselor with demonstrated cross-cultural knowledge and understanding, as well as a dedication and commitment to counseling students who are culturally diverse and have intersectional identities.
The William Paterson University Counseling, Health and Wellness Center is dedicated to providing clinical, educational, and outreach services in support of William Paterson students. The Center is welcoming, accepting and dedicated to serving a culturally diverse student population seeking to make informed decisions about their physical and emotional well-being.
For more information, please visit https://www.wpunj.edu/health-wellness/about/
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing students with culturally proficient individual and group counseling, treatment planning, triage assessments, referrals to resources and follow-up services internal and external to the University via in-person and telehealth student visits.
- Using best practices and evidence based research to evaluate the effectiveness of departmental services, outreach and support; ensuring that services are responsive to the beliefs, interpersonal styles, attitudes, language and behaviors of culturally diverse individuals and groups.
- Collaborating, consulting, and serving as liaison to other department clinicians regarding multicultural and culture specific practices and services.
- Implementing mental health best practices for face-to-face and virtual outreach programming to promote the health and well-being of multicultural student groups.
- Facilitating referral and after-care services to ancillary providers where needed; case management and coordination of care with Health Center staff to develop comprehensive treatment plans.
- Providing consultation services to faculty and staff seeking assistance with students; following up with emergency intervention where necessary.
- Representing the Center on division-wide committees, at student learning fairs, Open House, Homecoming, move-in, and other assigned division and university-wide functions in support of the student body and the University's mission.
- Rotating with other staff in providing overnight and weekend on-call coverage and consultation.
- Earned doctoral degree in clinical or counseling psychology from an accredited college or university; consideration given to candidate with a master's degree in social work, or a master's degree in mental health counseling.
- Licensure as a psychologist in the state of New Jersey; license-eligibility in New Jersey within one year of hire will be considered.
- Social work candidates must possess an LCSW in the state of New Jersey.
- Master level counselor candidates must possess an LPC in New Jersey.
- Available for phone on-call emergency services.
- Demonstrated skills in assessing and treating a wide range of disorders and levels of function; experience responding to and assessing patients in crisis.
- Experience working with clients of diverse backgrounds; able to provide culturally relevant clinical services to diverse and underrepresented populations.
- SIFI certification.
- Experience in an institution of higher education, working with university level students and/or young adults.
- Demonstrated interest in the higher education environment.
- Desire to participate in a vibrant and collaborative Division of Student Development.
- Supervising experience.
- Working knowledge of social service resources in Northern New Jersey.
- Experience using telehealth platforms to deliver patient care.
- Experience providing outreach programs.
- Experience making presentations to audiences of various sizes.
Personal Attributes and Traits:
- Ability to envision goals and outcomes and to identify, evaluate, and allocate resources as necessary.
- Capable of listening to many points of view without bias while understanding what it takes to be fair and respectful of the individuality of others.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment as well as independently.
- Ability to communicate in an effective and efficient manner both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidence and self-reliance to fulfill professional and personal roles.
Interested candidates will be prompted to:Complete an application Submit a cover letter and resume Provide names/contacts of three professional references
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any general questions related to this search.
About William Paterson University
William Paterson University is the third most diverse public university in New Jersey. As a longstanding member of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU), we have been designated by the US Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution. William Paterson University is also proud to be designated as a NASA MSI (Minority Serving Institution). The University offers more than 250 undergraduate and graduate academic programs that range from liberal arts and sciences to pre-professional and professional programs; it enrolls over 9,000 students from across the country and from over 40 nations. The University is situated on a beautiful, 380-acre suburban campus in Wayne, New Jersey, just twenty miles west of New York City.