Post-Secondary Education Navigator
City Colleges of Chicago (CCC)
, the largest community
college system in Illinois, is made up of seven colleges and five
satellite sites, providing more than 70,000 students each year
access to a quality, affordable education.
City Colleges of Chicago (CCC), in partnership with Chicago Public
Schools (CPS), seeks to ensure that all high school students in
Chicago are provided with in-depth information about CCC’s seven
campuses, including career and technical education and liberal arts
and sciences programs. Students expressing an interest in CCC
receive help selecting pathways aligned to their interests and
goals, and receive support from the initial application through
enrollment at CCC.
Reporting to the Manager – High School Transitions, Post-Secondary
Education Navigator positions implement coaching strategies to
provide support to CPS high school students interested in
postsecondary opportunities at CCC. Post-Secondary Education
Navigator positions work with prospective students in helping them
define their long-term goals, identify obstacles, and carry out the
concrete steps needed to execute their plans and achieve their
Positions acts as liaisons between CPS and CCC, working
collaboratively with CPS networks and postsecondary leadership
teams and college student services staff to:
- provide students with in-depth information about CCC’s
educational programs across its seven campuses, including degree,
career and technical education, and certificate programs;
- assist students in making informed decisions about their
educational and life goals, helping them select pathways aligned to
their academic goals and career interests;
- help students connect their education and academic goals to
career goals and employment opportunities; and
- support students in navigating each stage of the application
and enrollment process, connecting students and helping them engage
with institutional resources including financial aid.
must travel on a regular basis to
high schools, attend CPS post-secondary team meetings, and CCC
Student Service team meetings to stay fully aware of updates.
Availability to work some evening and weekends is required .
Performs related duties as required.
- Serves as information leads for CPS students matriculating to
City Colleges of Chicago, and for CPS post-secondary leadership
teams including College and Career Specialists and counselors. This
includes specialized knowledge on CCC programs and pathways, CCC
initiatives such as Early College, Transitional coursework, STAR
and Career Launch, and all processes related to registration.
- Implements plans to increase students’ awareness of CCC’s
varied program offerings, careers that are associated with each
pathway and relevant employment data to help students make informed
decisions in line with their career and life goals.
- Works with postsecondary leadership team in developing and
implementing strategies across assigned high schools to identify
and support student needs and provide targeted coaching to students
around key areas of need related to CCC.
- Meets with students individually and in groups, coaching and
guiding students in researching and exploring City Colleges of
Chicago programs and career options, occupational job programs,
apprenticeship programs in alignment with CCC offerings.
- Provides a range of services and resources to encourage and
guide students in exploring the variety of available occupational,
career and educational paths, define their career and education
- Develops and utilizes academic and personal inventories/tools
for use by students in exploring and identifying their academic,
personal, and career interests and aspirations, and to articulate
their postsecondary goals for a successful future.
- Supports students interested in City Colleges of Chicago in
meeting their articulated postsecondary goals by ensuring goal
alignment with selected pathways or programs at City Colleges of
Chicago, including considering relevant labor market data.
- Works with and assists students in carrying out steps needed to
enroll at CCC, including completing FAFSA forms, completing the
admissions application process, navigating the placement testing
process, and providing guidance on the enrollment process.
- Works with and ensures students use Naviance District Edition
software in planning for their postsecondary pathway, including
completing future-ready activities, researching careers, reviewing
individualized assessments, and using college planning tools to
create their post-high school plan.
- Leads summer melt efforts by working with caseloads of
applicants from all CPS high schools. Provides outreach and support
to caseload students during summer months, contacting prospective
students to increase awareness of CCC deadlines, and to encourage
students to complete required steps towards enrollment at a CCC
campus. Provides regular communication about CCC summer melt
initiatives to CPS counselors and postsecondary leaders.
- Provides presentations to students interested in CCC’s two-year
degree programs, including liberal arts and sciences programs, and
Centers of Excellence programs in focus areas such as nursing,
health careers, information technology, and manufacturing.
- Conducts workshops that inform and prepare students on topics
relating to financing their college education including the Free
Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and scholarships.
- Coordinates logistics for students to attend CCC college
visits, and in-depth visits into special programs based on student
- Supports CCC’s Admissions Office, contacting prospective and
new students to answer questions and provide information on CCC’s
special admissions programs and student expectations.
- Reviews and evaluates special admissions applications to verify
proper completion and submission of documents to meet a program’s
- Works collaboratively with Registrar’s Office, Financial Aid,
and other key stakeholders to create a seamless transition from
application through enrollment and registration process for
Reports To: Manager - High School Transitions
Direct Reports: None
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Master’s degree preferred
- Three years of work experience in student services, preferably
at a community college
- At least one year of work experience with High School students
- Bilingual skills are a plus
- A valid State of Illinois driver’s license
- Must be able to travel frequently to CPS high schools and CCC
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends
- Passion for supporting students, especially first-generation
college goers in pursuit of their goals
- Demonstrates attention to detail, initiative, dependability,
and commitment to customer service
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of Naviance software highly desirable
- Knowledge of CCC academic programs and pathways, enrollment
procedures, financial aid (including FAFSA/verification practices),
Early College program, transitional coursework, Star Scholarship
program, and related CCC initiatives desirable
- Knowledge of labor market data analysis for relevant career
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment.
- Moderate proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word,
Excel, and Outlook).
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6
months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago.