Manager, Emerging Media Lab
Looking for a highly interactive person to be responsible for the successful day-to-day operations of the Emerging Media Lab. Overview of the Position: Successful operations of the Emerging Media Lab through the hiring, training, scheduling, and performance evaluations of student staff, troubleshooting of lab equipment and software, and being an expert in operational support for our students and faculty. About the team: As a member of the Media Technologies and Production (MTP) which is the operational oversight department for many specific media focuses of the College, including the Emerging Media Lab. The Emerging Media Lab is the heart of the College’s Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality/2D and 3D Animation/Character and Game Design/Prototyping curriculums. These are offered through Emerson College’s Visual and Media Arts Department (VMA). Key Partners: IT Department, Visual and Media Arts Department, faculty and students and your Media Technologies and Production teammates Direct Reports: None Student Workers: 10 Please note: this is an on-site position, requiring your presence during regular business hours. Key Responsibilities:
- Test computer and software builds and ensures that the facility is operationally effective for class and study use.
- Train, schedule, and oversee student employees in Maya, Unity and other software support.
- Ensure appropriate levels of technical support when classes are in session as well as during support hours either through providing or overseeing the quality of support that meets appropriate standards.
- Frequent interaction with faculty and students to assist in the completion of projects.
Oversight of the daily operation of the Emerging Media
Lab facility. Duties include:
- Initiate daily communication with professors to ensure that curricular software and hardware needs are fully supported
- Handle checkout and returns for equipment vended to students
- Providing technical support and assistance for student projects
- Schedule, manage, and train student employees in Maya, Unity, and other software
- Attentive to daily opening and closing procedures, including the locking of doors, logging off of computers, and general cleanliness of the spaces
- Review and revise the computer software chart prior to the beginning of each semester in partnership with faculty and IT staff
- Perform research on software as requested by professors, and offer up-to-date alternatives that are mindful of current workflow, as well as software and hardware compatibility issues
- Remain current on industry trends through online research, attendance at local vendor presentations and industry conferences or wrap-ups
- Create proposals for new purchases based on feedback
- Ensure collaborative and collective agreement amongst multiple departments when determining new purchases
- Offer technical support to faculty and students, and ensure that the technical resources are well-maintained, available for in-class and in-person open hours use, as well as possible online teaching modalities
- Develop strategic initiatives to improve and enhance the Emerging Media Lab based on curriculum needs, faculty and student feedback and industry trends with senior MTP management.
- Refine, develop, and implement best practices, workflows, and efficiencies in order to improve the user experience.
- Compare notes and share ideas and resources with other MTP staff in an effort to continually improve the overall success of the department
- All other duties as assigned
- At least three (3) years of experience with Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality tools, computer labs management experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of Maya and Unity software
- High level of both Windows and Mac based computers literacy
- Ability to troubleshoot hardware and software issues
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a diverse workplace
- Team player who’s well-organized and detail-oriented
- BA in related field, or equivalent technical experience
- Knowledge of Unity game development engine
- Experience and deep familiarity with Technical Director aspects of Maya, including rigging/MEL/Python/rendering
- Experience maintaining a render farm
- Experience with Mac OS
- Experience working in a diverse and inclusive educational environment
Emerson College is the nation’s only four-year institution dedicated exclusively to majors in communication and the arts in a liberal arts context. It is located in the dynamic multi-cultural city of Boston in close proximity to major arts institutions, performing art venues, and research centers. The college enrolls over 5,100 undergraduate and graduate students from 58 countries and all 50 states. Diversity Statement Emerson College believes diversity enriches every experience by providing the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society. Emerson College embraces and encourages differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make each of us unique.
Grade of Position: A15E
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 36.25
Hiring Range: $51,100.00 - $53,600.00
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Boston
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Boston
- Computer Services & Information Technology Administrative $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Boston
- Technology Administration/Other Administrative $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Boston