Director of Digital Engagement
Director of Digital Engagement
Vice-President for College Advancement
Regular or Temporary
Hours Per Week
Weeks Per Year
Full or Part Time
Trinity College seeks a talented and strategic Director of Digital Engagement to lead engagement with and for the college’s alumni, donor, and parent/family audiences and develop strategies and tools to help the college enhance fundraising and participation and nurture its relationships with those audiences broadly. Reporting to the Vice President for Advancement, the Director will guide the digital marketing and communications strategy for the division and will work closely with the division’s senior leadership group and units to guide the use of digital tools, including email, social media, and the Alumni and Families website in executing advancement communications and marketing strategy. Within the division, there are several team members who are responsible for various elements of marketing, and there may be a future opportunity to expand the division’s communications and marketing staff.
This is an entirely new position for the college and the Director will have the opportunity both to envision the program from the ground up and to build a team to guide and implement that vision. We see this as a central element of our overall community engagement efforts and it will build off the success of the Virtual Long Walk platform that we launched this past year.
- Plans and implements the division’s communications and marketing strategy with a particular focus on online and digital engagement.
- Leads the division’s strategic use of email, web, social media, and mobile platforms in an integrated approach that supports and advances the division’s goals and strategic priorities.
- Acts as the “social listener” and online community manager, monitoring alumni comments, reactions, and sentiments on social media platforms. Provides recommendations for engagement opportunities and response strategies.
- Responsible for the content strategy and day-to-day management of the Alumni and Families website
- Collects and analyzes data (web analytics, campaign results, etc.) to make recommendations and decisions on content and audience experiences.
- Works closely with the Office of Communications to ensure alignment with the college’s brand standards, messaging, and best practices, as well as integration with college-wide communications and marketing strategies.
- Works closely with the Office of Communications to manage the Alumni and Families website, all social media platforms and email marketing communications.
- Responsible for partnering with the Communications Office and others in creating and sending executive-level email communication to alumni, parents/families, and donors, including messages from the president, vice president, and volunteer leadership groups
- With the VP and unit directors, plan and oversee the calendar for all e-communications and solicitations to alumni and parents
- Bachelor’s degree required, and 5 or more years of experience in communications, marketing, or development. Experience in higher education is highly desirable.
- Expertise in social media, email marketing, and digital engagement best practices. Full proficiency with social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and emerging platforms, as well as demonstrated success in managing social media communities.
- Must be an excellent writer and editor with a keen eye for storytelling.
- Experienced collaborator who excels at working with others toward a common goal
- Proven project management skills and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment while prioritizing and handling multiple projects
- Demonstrated creativity, entrepreneurial thinking, and ability to identify innovative engagement opportunities
- Value Trinity’s commitment to inclusiveness; demonstrate
respect and commitment to diversity
- Familiarity with fundraising principles and experience in a higher education or academic setting
- Experience with design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite or Canva Pro
- Experience with PeopleSoft and/or CRM systems
- Experience with distributed content management systems such as WordPress
- Degree from or familiarity with Trinity College highly desired
- Experience managing staff
The position is heavily reliant on use of a computer.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Cover letter must include a statement about your work or experience with diverse communities and/or constituents.
Include examples of social media and digital marketing campaigns.
Review of application will begin July 11, 2021.
Trinity College is an independent, nonsectarian liberal arts college for men and women, with approximately 2,200 undergraduate students and 200 faculty members, located in Hartford, Connecticut. Our Mission is “Engage. Connect. Transform.” As the preeminent liberal arts college in an urban setting, Trinity College prepares students to be bold, independent thinkers who lead transformative lives. Trinity is an actively engaged community of students, faculty and staff who work together to develop and sustain the intellectual and creative opportunities central to a first-class liberal arts education. Hartford, the state capital, provides many opportunities for cultural and social engagement.
The College is committed to building a representative and diverse faculty, administrative staff, and student body. Trinity is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Applicants with disabilities should request, in advance, any needed accommodation in order to participate in the application process.
For all faculty positions, completion of the Ph.D. or appropriate equivalent is expected. Candidates should have a strong commitment to undergraduate and interdisciplinary teaching in a liberal arts context, and a well-articulated plan for sustained research. Trinity is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their research, teaching, and service.