Head Volleyball Coach
William Paterson University invites applications for the full-time, 12-month position of Head Volleyball Coach.
Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the incumbent is an integral part of a robust athletic program at William Paterson University serving as the Head Coach of the intercollegiate volleyball program.
The William Paterson University Department of Athletics and Recreation has long been a source of pride for the entire campus community. Currently sponsoring 13 NCAA Division III teams which includes baseball, men's and women's basketball, field hockey, football, men's golf, men's and women's soccer, softball, men's and women's swimming and diving, women's tennis, and women's volleyball. William Paterson is a member of the New Jersey Athletic Conference, which is one of the most competitive leagues in the nation. Per NCAA Division III bylaws, William Paterson does not offer athletics-based scholarships.
At William Paterson University, each individual is encouraged to achieve as a scholar, citizen, and athlete and to develop critical life-long values such as hard work, fair play, honesty, integrity, and cooperation, leadership, and teamwork skills.
For more information, please visit https://www.wpupioneers.com/sports/2007/11/27/gen_1127075547.aspx?path=gen#This%20is%20Athletics
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develops, organizes and administers a competitive Division III intercollegiate volleyball program. Works in conjunction with the associate athletic director to develop the volleyball schedule
- Provides site supervision at home athletic contests and administrative assistance in the areas of academics, marketing, compliance and/or strength and conditioning; Supervises home games as described in site supervision manual for winter and spring athletic contests
- Cultivates student-athletes' skill and strategy related to sport
- Executes practice organization and implementation, and develops game strategy
- Recruits student-athletes within guidelines of William Paterson University and the NCAA
- Works collaboratively with Office of Admissions
- Monitors academic progress of student-athletes, and develops and implements strategy for retention
- Develops working relationship with athletic administration and support staff in the overall management of the volleyball program
- Recommends the hiring of assistant coaches and supervises same
- Attends meetings, open house, and workshops as required
- Assists with development of team budget and abide by same
- Adheres to all university, NCAA and NJAC policies and procedures and educate student-athletes about the same
- Devises and distributes communication with volleyball alumni minimally twice a year
- Perform other duties as assigned that are appropriate for the position
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university
- Three (3) or more years of full-time coaching experience at the collegiate, high school, or club level
- Demonstrated ability to lead, develop and coach student-athletes
- Proven track record applying and instructing sport specific skills, techniques, and strategies.
- Successful completion of the NCAA Division III rules test
- Certification in CPR/AED
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and virtual communication (email, Teams, Zoom)
- Master's degree
- Collegiate level volleyball coaching experience
- Head coaching experience
- Demonstrated ability to recruit qualified student-athletes at the collegiate level
- Demonstrated ability to lead, develop and coach student-athletes at the scholastic or collegiate level
Personal Attributes and Traits:
- Ability to communication effectively in both oral and written format
- Proven commitment to help others recognize and expand their talents and potential
- Capable of influencing others to actively contribute to group goals
- Dedication to systems and processes by understanding and leveraging knowledge, language, authority structures and work within a given context to establish and honor norms, rules, policies, and procedures
- Track record of commitment to self- assessment, self-improvement, self-management, and self-direction
Complete an application
Submit a cover letter & CVProvide names/contacts of three professional references
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. General questions related to this application process, please contact email@example.comAbout William Paterson:
William Paterson University is the third most diverse public university in New Jersey. As a longstanding member of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU), we have been designated by the US Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution. William Paterson University is also proud to be designated as a NASA MSI (Minority Serving Institution). The University offers more than 250 undergraduate and graduate academic programs that range from liberal arts and sciences to pre-professional and professional programs; it enrolls over 9,000 students from across the country and from over 40 nations. The University is situated on a beautiful, 380-acre suburban campus in Wayne, New Jersey, just twenty miles west of New York City.