Animal Care Technologist - (STA007529)
Provides advanced care and training for laboratory animals in accordance with established procedures. Learns and applies federal, state, and local regulations, guidelines, and policies on laboratory animals. Expected to assist with minor veterinary procedures.
- Performs advanced animal care activities and exercises independent decision making associated with all routine animal care activities of an animal laboratory, to include routine veterinary care, breeding colony maintenance, pre-surgical treatments, cage card and records maintenance, and maintenance of equipment and caging.
- Serves as a training leader for ACO and provides training for level one and level two tasks within ACO training matrix
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills to deal effectively and independently with research scientists, laboratory technical staff, administrative staff, and management.
- Maintains animal diet inventories and consumable support materials inventory such as bedding.
- Operate cleaning and sterilization equipment and other machinery.
- Acts in a leader capacity in supervisor's absence.
- Maintains animal housing in assigned areas, to include sanitizing, disinfecting, and changing cages.
- Feeds and provides water to animals according to schedules and quantity requirements.
- Monitors animal's health condition, reporting illness, injury, or unusual behavior to management.
- Processes incoming animals according to procedures for each species. Handles and restrains common laboratory animals as required. Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree and 5 years experience.
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline,or the basic knowledge of more than one professional disciplines. Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal, directly job-related, 4 year degree from a college or university or an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related to the type of work being performed.
Requires a minimum of five (5) years of directly job-related experience.- Completion of Military Occupational Specialty (68T) also acceptable for experience/education.- AAALAS LAT required / (G)LAT attainable within six months of hire as a term of continual employment.
Will accept experience in lieu of education.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Veterinary Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston