Executive Director, Animal Care
Internal Title: Executive Director, Animal Care
External Title: Executive Director and Attending Veterinarian
Baylor College of Medicine is seeking an Executive Director and Attending Veterinarian for the Center for Comparative Medicine (CCM). This position is responsible for the strategic vision, management, and operation of CCM consistent with the strategic goals of the College. This is accomplished by working directly with college leadership and other executive staff for the purposes of allocating space and resources, financial planning and preparation of budgets, personnel management, improving organizational performance, and developing new research resources to support research goals. This position oversees all aspects of animal facility operations, animal husbandry, and veterinary care of research animals.
- Serves as Attending Veterinarian per animal welfare-related regulations and guidelines.
- Monitors animal health and welfare in compliance with all applicable animal welfare regulations and helps maintain facilities for AAALAC accreditation.
- Serves on the IACUC. Provides guidance to investigators on matters related to IACUC protocols, rules and regulations, animal models, and animal research resources.
- Participates and coordinates the planning of renovations to animal facilities and other construction as needed, (including submitting or assisting in the submission of grant applications to the NIH for facilities improvement and construction funding).
- Provides oversight of animal care and use program; administrative office, business office, husbandry operations, staff veterinarians, training, and all faculty members who devote effort for clinical medicine and for veterinary pathology.
- Writes, reviews, and authorizes standard operating policies and procedures and other program documentation.
- Develops and implements metrics-driven performance management.
- Leads disaster and hurricane preparedness team in both real-time events and annual drills.
- Ensures appropriate veterinary clinical and animal care staffing occurs daily including the weekend, disaster ride out including holiday duty.
- Provides strategic direction and leadership development and motivation, oversight of projects, and capacity assessment.
- Works with Sr. Vice President and Dean of Research on new institutional initiatives regarding the use of animals in biomedical research.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or Veterinariae Medicinae Doctoris (VMD).
- Ten years of relevant experience. Degrees in lieu of experience will not be accepted.
- Current license by the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners.
- Board-certified by the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM).
- Additional Advanced degrees (MS, PhD, etc.) or other advanced scientific training.
- Experience with vivarium design and new facility construction
- Leadership in the areas of planning, directing, quality improvement, institutional representation, and customer service to academic and investigator constituencies.
- Participation or leadership in national veterinary or biomedical research organizations such as the American Association of Laboratory Animal Science, AAALAC, or other similar professional groups.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Veterinary Sciences Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston