Director of Advising
Director of Advising
Benedictine University is an inclusive academic community, inspired by the Catholic intellectual tradition and Benedictine values. We seek employees who will contribute to the advancement of our mission by helping students shape lives of meaning and purpose as engaged citizens who care for the Earth, welcome people of diverse faiths and cultures, and promote the common good.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Job Title: Director of Advising
Department: Advising Center
Reports to: Chief Enrollment & Retention Officer
Position Summary: The Director of Advising is responsible for the development and oversight of high quality academic planning for all undergraduate students. The Director is charged with managing a team of professional Academic Advisors for incoming freshman and degree completion students The Director is also an integral leader for retention efforts, working closely with campus leaders to develop and implement a strategic retention plan for undergraduate students. This position oversees a comprehensive system of student educational planning and support to create a positive experience for students, which will result in higher retention rates
Essential Job Responsibilities:
1. Provide direction and leadership for the Advising Center to successfully assist with the recruitment and retention of incoming students. Manage the operation of the Advising Center, including hiring, training, supervision of all staff and scheduling of all services, programs and activities.
2. Ensure quality academic advising services for incoming students within the standards set by the University’s Statement on Academic Advising. Create and implement a comprehensive advising program by developing advising materials, which help foster the student’s sense of responsibility for his/her academic progress.
3. Data Analysis & Goal Setting- Work with the Chief Enrollment & Retention Officer along with other senior leaders to provide data-based evaluation of the efficacy of advising strategies and their impact on the University’s recruitment and retention efforts. Assess effectiveness of targeting strategies and communication channels.
4. Oversee an intrusive advising model for our high-risk students and serve as Academic Advisor for this student population. Serve on various committees to assist in creating resources for this population.
5. Coordinate the flow of accurate and detailed information from academic departments and Registrar’s Office to the advising team. Collaborate with these departments regarding articulation updates, policy and procedural changes/implementations as it relates to the various student population.
Assist in the creation, revision and implementation of academic policies, procedures and forms related to advising.
Create, develop and implement advising assessment tools including student engagement surveys.
Serve on various committees across campus (Enrollment Senior Team, Academic Standing, Financial Appeals, Advising Task Force, etc.)
Develop, manage and provide oversight of department budget.
Represent the Advising Center at various campus meetings/events, to include attendance at off-campus advising related programs.
Education: Master’s degree in Counseling or Education is required.
Experience: A minimum of 7 years work experience in an advising role at the college level.
Specific Skills: Microsoft Office experience is necessary. Peoplesoft experience is preferred. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively and courteously with internal and external constituents. Strong planning and organizational skills with the ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously, close attention to detail, prioritization to meet deadlines, and strong decision-making abilities.
Specific Knowledge, Licenses, Certifications: Candidate must be goal oriented. Must be personable, outgoing, and professional in demeanor. Must be an excellent communicator (both oral and written) and possess excellent public speaking skills. Must work collegially with university faculty and staff across Benedictine University.
Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
Use of computer screen, phone and customer service. May require bending, or sitting for long periods of time. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Travel (If applicable): Regionally to various recruitment events/meetings
Supervisory Responsibility (if applicable): Leads, guides, and evaluates all staff and student workers directly assigned to assist in the Advising Center
Working Conditions: Office environment, some travel
Benedictine University does not discriminate in its admissions or educational policies, programs or activities; scholarship and loan programs; athletic and other University administered programs or employment practices on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, military or veteran status, marital status, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. The laws applicable to Benedictine University include constitutional and statutory protections of the University's rights as a religiously sponsored institution. This policy of equal employment opportunity applies to all employment and personnel practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, promotion, training and compensation.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Benedictine University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Lisle
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Lisle
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Lisle
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Lisle
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Lisle