Transportation Clerk- Revised
To support Transportation Services in meeting the transportation needs of the university community. This position is responsible for scheduling and dispatching vehicles for the use of university personnel. Maintain records of transportation operational costs. The incumbent will also assist other Campus Services areas as needed.
This position reports directly to the Director or designee. This position works closely with all other positions in Transportation Services in order to coordinate and maintain daily operations.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
The individual in this position is responsible for maintaining an organized, smooth running office and will have an amount of latitude to complete the tasks assigned, working within the guidelines established by the Northern Illinois University Business Procedure Manual, Transportation Services policies, the Director or designee and related university policies. It is imperative to the efficient operation of Transportation Services that the individual perform his/her duties in a timely fashion.
All university personnel who use the services of Transportation Services are dependent on the individual in this position to perform his/her duties in an accurate and timely manner.
The incumbent will assist other areas of Campus Services as needed.
This position must also relate positively and professionally to all elements of the university community, including faculty, staff, and students, while remaining courteous, businesslike, and displaying a positive customer service attitude at all times.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. one year of work experience involving scheduling, dispatching, and/or bookkeeping activities
2. valid State of Illinois driver’s license at time of appointment, the class of the license depending on the type of vehicle(s) to be operated
(Candidates must possess a Class D driver’s license)
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
1. Demonstrated experience working in a transportation environment.
2. Demonstrated experience scheduling and dispatching vehicles.
3. Demonstrated experience working with the public.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
Computer skills including MS Office products. Ability to pay attention to detail. Excellent customer service skills. Ability to multi-task. Ability to work under tight deadlines.
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly)
Hiring Rate Information
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu . Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION . At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on Transportation Clerk for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage
Sitting for long periods of time performing data entry.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you possess a valid State of Illinois driver's license?
- * Please list any other valid motor vehicle licenses or
endorsements that you possess. (Please provide proof of such if
invited to test.)
(Open Ended Question)
- * If applicable, have you attached a copy of your DD214, DD215,
NGB22, or DD256 for consideration of Veterans Preference Points?
The copy submitted should reflect the status of discharge in order
to be considered.
- Not Applicable
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- List of at least 3 References
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Facilities Management & Physical Plant Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Auxiliary Services Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Safety & Security Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb