Visiting Assistant Professor - Math & Physics
TheDepartment of Mathematics and Physicsat St. Catherine
University invites applications for a full time, rolling
contract,Visiting Assistant Professorposition for the
2021-2022 academic year. There is potential to renew the contract
for an additional year.
The Mathematics and Physics departments offer hands-on faculty and student collaborative research opportunities as well as teach the patterns of decision-making and problem-solving, with an emphasis on developing critical thinking and communication skills in a cooperative environment. Our faculty prioritize teaching excellence and work collaboratively to support students who are passionate about social justice and aspire to use their education and training to lead and influence.
- Teach in-person introductory physics and astronomy lectures and
laboratory courses that are algebra and calculus based.
- A typical course load for a full-time faculty member is three
lectures or its equivalent per semester.
- Foster a culture of inclusive excellence through authentic
relationships with students as an educator, an advisor, and a
- Engage in service to the Physics Department through
participation in course assessments and student outcomes
- Engage in scholarly activities involving students in the Department, Division, and profession.
St. Catherine University in St. Paul, Minnesota is a comprehensive Catholic university with the nation’s largest college for women at its center. Founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet in 1905, the University integrates liberal arts and professional education within the Catholic traditions of intellectual inquiry and social teaching. Committed to excellence and opportunity, St. Catherine enrolls over 5,200 students in baccalaureate, master, and doctoral programs in both traditional day and weekend formats. Associate and Graduate programs enroll both women and men.
- PhD orABDin Physics, Physics
Education, or a closely related discipline.
- Two years of experience teaching introductory physics and/or astronomy lectures and laboratory courses.
- Two years of experience teaching physics lectures and
- Ability to teach and mentor diverse student populations.
We seek creative, adaptable staff who enjoy working in a university climate that promotes cultural diversity, multicultural understanding, and cultural fluency. Consistent with the university’s commitment to women, diversity and social justice, preference will be given to candidates who manifest these themes in their experience and service.
St. Catherine University is an equal opportunity employer. Our commitment to inclusion reflects the central value of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet to “love of neighbor without distinction” and provides a learning and working environment that is enriched by the diversity of all our members. Individuals of religious, racial, ethnic, gender identity, nation of origin, or disability groups that have traditionally had less representation in higher education are encouraged to apply. Should you need an interview accommodation please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org 651-690-6565.Application instructions for FACULTY
Careersto apply. You will be asked to attach an application
letter, CV, and a teaching statement when you submit your
materials. Additionally, candidates will be asked to provide
evidence of any teaching experience. Eligibility for employment
will require proof of Ph.D. orABDin
physics, physics education, astronomy, or a related field. Three
references, official transcripts and successful completion of a
background check will be required for employment. For information,
contact Dr. Taviare Hawkins email@example.com.
Review of applications will begin on June 25, 2021, and the
position will remain open until July 10, 2021.
St. Catherine University
2004 Randolph Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105
Equal Opportunity Employer / Drug Free Workplace / Tobacco Free Workplace
Our university is a proud member of the Upper MidwestHERCand is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and assisting dual career couples. For more information and to find other higher education jobs in the Upper Midwest region, visit: www.uppermidwestherc.org.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- *HRQ: What is your highest level of
- Some high school
- High school diploma or GED
- Some college
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Some graduate school
- Master's degree
- Professional degree (e.g., JD, MD)
- Doctoral degree
- *HRQ: For any education beyond high
school, please list the degree or certification and the area of
(Open Ended Question)
- *How many years of Physics teaching
experience do you have?
- *HRQ: St. Kate’s is committed to
making Inclusive Excellence a reality and has identified “Drive a
Culture of Inclusive Excellence” as one of six priorities in the
strategic plan. Give a specific example of how you have promoted a
culture that values diversity, equity and inclusion in your current
or recent role(s).
(Open Ended Question)
- *HRQ: Are you presently legally
authorized to work in the United States for any U.S. employer?
Please be aware that St. Catherine University is only able to
consider candidates who are authorized to work in the United
- *HRQ: St. Catherine University
welcomes applications from candidates who are traditionally
under-represented. We are happy to consider candidates who are
currently in possession of a temporary work visa, however, please
be aware that we do not offer employment visa sponsorship. Will you
now or in the future require an employer to sponsor you for an
employment-based visa/status in the U.S. (e.g. H-1B status)?
- *HRQ: Can you perform the essential
functions of this position with or without accommodation?
- *HRQ: How did you hear about this
- St. Catherine University website
- St. Catherine University employee
- Academic Jobs
- American College Personnel Association (ACPA)
- Association of Catholic Colleges/Universities
- Association of Student Affairs at Catholic Colleges and Universities
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- College or University website
- Council of Independent Colleges
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- Google Jobs
- Higher Education Case Managers Association (HECMA)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Hispanic Outlook on Education Magazine
- Inside Higher Ed
- Insight Into Diversity
- Latinos in Higher Ed
- LGBTQ in Higher Education
- Minnesota College Professionals Association
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- MinnesotaWorks.net/Minnesota Workforce Center
- Minority Jobs
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA)
- National Conference on Race and Ethnicity (NCORE)
- People of Color in Higher Education
- Pioneer Press
- Pollen Midwest
- Saint Paul Chamber of Commerce (SPACC)
- Star Tribune
- Twin Cities Senior Student Affairs Officers listserv
- Women in Higher Education
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Professional Reference Contact Information
- Teaching Evaluations