Vice President of Philanthropy
Vice President of Philanthropy
Established in 1967, The Miami Foundation is building the philanthropic, civic, and leadership backbone for a stronger, more equitable Miami. Over the past 50-plus years, the Foundation has invested more than $400 million into the community, and it houses more than $380 million in assets focused on strengthening Greater Miami. The Foundation has partnered with individuals, families, and corporations who have created more than 1,000 personalized, philanthropic funds.
The Miami Foundation has worked hard to understand Greater Miami and what makes this unique community tick. Working to engage all Miamians in the effort to shape the future of the region, The Miami Foundation focuses on three pillars:
- - Leadership: Stepping up to shine a light on important community issues, and mobilizing philanthropists, nonprofits and civic partners to take action as a united force for change.
- - Community: Building deep relationships across communities with nonprofit leaders, civic leaders, residents, and philanthropists in order to best guide our region and our donors to make the greatest impact possible.
- - Philanthropy: Stewarding a diverse portfolio of charitable investments and providing individualized philanthropic services, allowing people to make a positive impact through their giving.
The Miami Foundation exists to strengthen Greater Miami. When the going got tough during the past year, the Foundation stood together and invested powerfully in the community's recovery. The Foundation demonstrated the impact of united, strategic, equity-minded philanthropy, and the importance of growing the charitable muscle the Miami community needs, for today and for our future. The Foundation team secured $69 million in new gifts and planned/estate promises in 2020, and scaled up grantmaking and community strengthening efforts significantly to respond to the needs across Greater Miami.
2020 was a powerful reminder that The Miami Foundation is greater than the sum of its parts. When community needs increased substantially in the face of hardships, the Foundation stood up, gave generously, and impacted change as a united force, leveraging decades of insights and expertise. The Miami Foundation exists for moments just like this. The Foundation protects and sustains a more equitable, more resilient, more magical Miami for all who call this place home.
Amid this favorable backdrop of community leadership and expansion, The Miami Foundation seeks candidates for Vice President of Philanthropy (VP). The VP plays a critical role in growing The Miami Foundation’s ultimate impact on the region at large. The VP will lead the creation and implementation of a comprehensive philanthropy program and strategy to identify, cultivate, and secure new donors; advance a comprehensive planned giving program focused on professional advisor outreach; formulate and execute plans to increase community philanthropic partnerships; and ensure facilitation of all gifts from prospective donors, including non-cash, deferred, and testamentary gifts.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, competencies, and personal characteristics:
- Passion for the work of The Miami Foundation and joy for fundraising, including enthusiasm to make asks and manage donor relationships. An appreciation of the role of philanthropy in building community.
- Seven or more years of progressive responsibility in nonprofit fundraising, including extensive experience managing all dimensions of a comprehensive fundraising program (individual giving, institutional giving, annual giving, major and planned giving, stewardship, board relations) and leadership in a major fundraising campaign (planning, implementation, management, and successful conclusion).
- Strong grasp of and commitment to best practices in all areas of philanthropy and experience integrating giving programs at various levels to cultivate greater donor commitments.
- Experience leading a highly effective philanthropy team, with a strong record of providing strategic and operational leadership, including creating and managing a budget. Demonstrated ability to recruit, coach, mentor, motivate, and ensure ongoing professional development of staff; foster a cohesive team and an environment of trust, collaboration, professionalism, and transparency; and increase effectiveness and accountability through established objectives, performance standards, and guidance.
- Experience in developing the case for support and strategic fundraising plans, particularly a major fundraising campaign, and executing plans to achieve goals and objectives. Demonstrated experience cultivating, training, and working collaboratively with senior-level colleagues, board members, and other high-level volunteer leaders on successful development-related activities.
- Successful track record of personally cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gifts from individual and institutional donors at the level of six to seven-figures or greater. Strength in prospect discovery and in building effective strategies to compel new major donor investment.
- Demonstrated ability in planning and executing integrated, strategic, and innovative communications in support of achieving fundraising goals, including leveraging digital and social media. Experience identifying and coaching project spokespeople, and in partnering with marketing and communications colleagues to implement strategies that broaden the donor pool.
- Demonstrated analytical and organizational skills in evaluating existing programs, conceiving and implementing new programs or strategies, and resolving operational and interpersonal issues. The ability to extract and analyze data to make effective, efficient decisions about donor strategy and process, as well as working knowledge of modern data management practices and innovations that can streamline the development process and contribute to the integration of related functions.
- Excellent skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as working with databases and Internet research. Experience with Blackbaud software is a plus, but the ability to learn and become proficient with this software is a must.
- A forward thinker with a track record of utilizing new methods of donor engagement and connectivity, who will be driven by innovation in developing philanthropic best practices in the current and post-COVID-19 world.
- Availability to work outside of traditional business hours, to travel locally, and to occasionally travel regionally and nationally, consistent with public health guidelines.
The Miami Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE M/F/D/V.
The Miami Foundation has retained the Diversified Search Group to assist in this confidential search process. Inquiries, nominations, and applications (current resumes and cover letters) should be directed electronically to:
Gerard F. Cattie, Jr.
Practice Leader – Fundraising & Advancement
Diversified Search Group
The Chrysler Building, 405 Lexington Avenue, 49th Floor, New York, NY 10174
email@example.com | 212.542.2587
Apply for Vice President of Philanthropy
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Miami
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Miami
- Development & Advancement Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Miami
- Chief Business Officers & Vice Presidents Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Miami