Assistant General Counsel
Community College of Philadelphia
Community College of Philadelphia is dedicated to promoting a work environment that attracts and retains talented and diverse faculty and staff, and which challenges each of us to achieve at the highest level while contributing to the mission of the College. We value and support a culturally diverse and intellectually dynamic community to prepare our students for global citizenship. Join us as we transition from our first 50 years into the next and build upon a legacy that will impact the city of Philadelphia and beyond.Community College of Philadelphia is seeking to fill an Assistant General Counsel position. Reporting to the Associate General Counsel, the Assistant General Counsel position assists the department in providing legal services for the College. This position demonstrates a strong client service orientation, confidentiality, and effective and creative problem-solving to respond to a wide range of legal issues presented to the General Counsel's Office. The Assistant General Counsel drafts, revises, and negotiates a wide variety of contracts that are applicable in the higher education environment and manages the College's contract management process. This position also assists the department with the management of document requests, conducts legal research, writes memoranda and correspondence, and renders legal opinions.
• Assist the General Counsel's office in providing legal advice, interpretation, and representation in a broad range of legal issues.
• Draft, revise and negotiate a wide variety of contracts applicable in the higher education environment, and manage the contract management process.
• Draft, revise and negotiate real estate leases, transactions, and related agreements.
• Collaborate with and provide legal advice to Purchasing Department on Requests for Proposals and other procurement-related contracts, policies, and procedures.
• Provide advice and counsel on legal compliance on a broad array of higher education and public entity compliance including student affairs, sunshine laws, procurement, technology transfer issues, and labor and employment matters.
• Assist with management of document requests including open record procedures, subpoenas, and litigation discovery.
• Conduct legal research, write memoranda and correspondence, and render legal opinions.
• Assist with providing advice on College policies, including drafting and revision of policies and developing and facilitating training.
• Assist with internal investigations.
• Assist with representation of the College in state, federal, or local matters as assigned by General Counsel.
• Maintain sensitivity, understanding, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds
• Other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications
• Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA-accredited law school required.
• Admitted and in good standing with the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and Federal Bar (for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania), or eligible to seek immediate admission required.
• Minimum of three (3) years of progressively relevant legal experience required.
• Detail-oriented with excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, to effectively interact with people of diverse backgrounds required.
• Ability to work independently and take initiative required.
• Ability to create and implement systems, procedures, and processes required.
• Exceptional organizational, problem-solving, and planning skills required.
• Ability to collaborate with others required.
• Demonstrated customer service orientation with a leadership mindset required.
• Ability to maintain sensitivity, understanding, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds required.
• Transactional experience and/or higher education experience preferred.
• Experience working in a collective bargaining environment with collective bargaining agreements preferred.