Assistant Professor - Animal Science - Animal Behavior
The State University of New York College of Agriculture and
Technology at Cobleskill is an accredited polytechnic college that
is primarily baccalaureate and residential. SUNY Cobleskill is one
of few institutions in the United States where an undergraduate
student may also choose to earn an associate degree. The College
has an enrollment of approximately 2,500 students in
59 programs divided into two schools, Agriculture and Natural
Resources; Business and Liberal Arts & Sciences. An economic
engine for rural New York, SUNY Cobleskill is home to a wide array
of extended learning and professional development
Modeling experiential education, SUNY Cobleskill is committed to providing small classes, excellent facilities, and a hands-on learning environment. Whether students plan to further their education or begin their professional careers, they graduate with the foundation to pursue their goals and to succeed.
The Department of Animal Science in the School of Agriculture and Natural Resources at SUNY Cobleskill seeks a talented and innovative person to join the faculty team. The Animal Science department enrolls over 500 students and offers hands-on coursework utilizing cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, and dogs housed on campus. Offering both associate and bachelor's degree programs, SUNY Cobleskill seeks applicants committed to experiential learning who enjoy teaching a variety of courses. The successful candidate will teach and advise undergraduate students, and will be expected to bring specialized training in the area of animal behavior to the instructional programs of the department. A successful candidate must adhere to, teach, and encourage philosophies and training methods consistent with LIMA (Least Intrusive Minimally Aversive). Real works experience in training canines is preferred. The incumbent will also advise students, supervise internships, mentor student clubs/organizations, and work with outside organizations beneficial to program success Faculty are also expected to collaborate in the development and delivery of coursework, assist in curricular development, assessment, and revision, and participate in service, scholarship, and professional development activities. Cross-disciplinary collaboration is encouraged.
Teaching responsibilities would include Domestic Animal Behavior, Behavior Problems in Companion Animals, Care and Training of the Working Dog, Animal Genetics, and Animal Training, with the likelihood of additional course responsibilities.
- Ph.D. or ABD (with completion by 1/1/2022) or equivalent terminal degree in animal behavior or related field.
- Experience with canine and other domestic animals
- Adhere to, teach and encourage philosophies and training methods consistent with LIMA (Least Intrusive Minimally Aversive).
In addition to the aforementioned minimum qualifications, it is preferred the candidate also have:
- Two or more years of college level teaching experience
- Experience training canines
- Student focused experience outside of classroom (e.g., research, advisement, internship supervision/site development)
- This is a full-time (10-month), open-rank, tenure-track position.
- The salary range for this position is $50,000 - $70,000, based on experience.
- The work schedule for this position is Monday through Friday, with some weekends.
- This position offers full New York State benefits which are among the most comprehensive in the country.
- SUNY Cobleskill is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community for our students and employees. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Any offer of employment is contingent on the successful completion of the background check.
- This position may be designated 55 b/c and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility.
SUNY Cobleskill is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, and ensuring equal educational and employment opportunity and access to services, programs and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction, or any other legally protected status. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation during the hiring process should contact the Human Resources Office at (518) 255-5514.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
SUNY Cobleskill's Tile IX Coordinator is Erica Hoerz, who can be contacted via phone at 518-255-5229, email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailing address of SUNY Cobleskill, Title IX Coordinator, Bouck Hall Room 126A, Cobleskill, NY 12043.
The application review process will begin immediately and will continue until a suitable candidate is found. Priority is given to applications submitted by July 1, 2021.
A complete application consists of the following:
1. Letter of application, addressing qualifications, position
responsibilities, and college values
2. Current CV or Resume
3. Names, emails and phone numbers of at least three professional references, preferably former supervisors
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Cobleskill
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Cobleskill
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Cobleskill