Grant and Contract Specialist
Under the direction of the Office of Sponsored Research Director, the Grant and Contract Specialist is responsible for performing diversified and complex administrative, financial, pre and post-award functions in support of university sponsored project activities from a diverse portfolio including federal, foundation and industry sponsors.
- Conduct pre-award activities to assist faculty and staff (investigators) in preparing documents for externally sponsored projects; develop and provide tools and aides as necessary to assist with compliant grant application development
- Draft research and project legal agreements based on approved templates and expedite document routing, approval, submission, and reporting processes in compliance with university and sponsor guidelines
- Handle primary administration of electronic proposal submission portals including, but not limited to, Grants.gov and Research.gov.; Monitor the status of proposal submissions throughout the external review process
- Review terms and conditions of new awards for potential issues including, but not limited to, allowable costs, re-budgeting and reporting requirements, and cost sharing to ensure compatibility with sponsoring agency regulations and university policies and procedures
- Meet with investigators to review terms and conditions of new awards and inform of pertinent university and sponsor policies and guidelines; Develop and provide tools and aides as necessary to assist with award management
- Monitor project budgets, expenses and recovered overhead; Provide investigators with on-going assistance in managing, forecasting and analyzing project budgets; Advise OSR Director of compliance concerns
- Execute subrecipient agreements and risk assessment procedures, consultant agreements, project budget modifications, amendments and extensions, and required sponsor financial reports; Process vendor set up, purchase orders, reallocation of expenditures and award close out activities
- Develop electronic forms as necessary to improve university pre and post-award operations
- Assist with review and collection of data needed for the university IRB, Export Control Committee, Research Council and as required for effort reporting and compliance with FCOI, RCR and other as required; Assist in monitoring investigator completion of CITI training modules
- Assist with the maintenance of the OSR website and electronic resource base of materials to assist faculty and staff with grant development.
- Provide administrative support for special projects and compile research data and information needed to produce university reports and to update procedure manuals
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in a business administration, finance, or accounting, or related field.
- 1 year of relevant job experience, or equivalent, preferably in an academic environment.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret funding opportunity announcements, financial documents and system reports, and federal and sponsor submission and compliance requirements
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access and, PowerPoint), or similar software applications
- Excellent interpersonal skills (verbal and written) needed to present and communicate effectively with all levels of university and sponsor management
- Familiarity with higher education and federal granting agencies