Research Technician III
The BCM-HGSC was founded in 1996 under the leadership of Dr. Richard Gibbs and is a world leader in genomics. The fundamental interests of the BCM-HGSC are in advancing biology and genetics by improved genome technologies. As one of the large-scale sequencing centers funded by the National Institutes of Health, the BCM-HGSC provides a unique opportunity to work on the cutting edge of genomic science in a state of the art institution.
The Human Genome Sequencing Center (HGSC) at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking to recruit a Research Technician III to work in its CLIA laboratory conducting next-generation sequencing assays.
Qualified candidates should have molecular biology experience and good organizational skills. The position will involve one or more of the following duties: DNA and RNA QC, Real-time PCR, and library construction. Proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel is necessary. Qualified candidates should be good at multi-tasking, problem-solving, and have strong communication skills. The candidate should be able to work well in a team environment.
• Perform pipeline production in CL for NGS library preparation with liquid handling systems
• Conduct laboratory routine instrument maintenance, reagent testing and consumable tracking to keep production going without interruption
• Participate in lab compliance activities to comply CAP, CLIA, HIPPA and all relevant Federal, State and local regulations
• Initiate Automation library report for QC metrics and reagent lot records.
• Array and prepare samples for Covaris application and QC documentation.
• Prepare Illumina paired end library on Biomek FXP, which also includes Agilent QC, Alphaview QC, pooling and Ampure bead cleanup.
• Prepare Illumina Adaptor Trays, Binding buffer, and aliquoting reagents necessary for library prep.
• Provide detailed and legible library documentation associated with results, maintenance records, and quality control.
• Order reagents and labware needed for automated preparation of Library.
• Perform monthly inventory of automation pipeline reagents
• Routine maintenance of automated equipment.
• Assist and train staff in basic molecular biology processes for library preparation.
• Assist team lead in updating management with HGSC-CLIA robotic updates.
• Participate in library troubleshooting as assigned.
• Validate Robotic scripts for library preparation and report results to management.
• Assist Robotics Team in Biomek script development. Work with Robotics Team to implement Biomek Methods for automated library preparation.
• Stay current with Next Generation Sequencing Literature.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or related field. Four years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- One year of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in a related field.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.