Assistant Professor of Computer Science
FACULTY EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
THE UNIVERSITY: California State University, East Bay (CSUEB) is a comprehensive university serving the San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley. It is known for award-winning programs, expert instruction, its diverse student body, and a choice of more than 100 career-focused fields of study. With an enrollment of approximately 15,000 students and 900 faculty, CSUEB is organized into four colleges. The University offers bachelor’s degrees in 49 fields, minors in 52 fields, master’s degrees in 34 fields, 16 credentials programs, 18 certificate options, and 1 doctoral degree program. http://www20.csueastbay.edu/
California State University East Bay has a mission to support a diverse student body through academically rich and culturally relevant learning experiences. The successful candidate will bring with them expertise or an openness to creating a welcoming and supportive environment for all students.
THE DEPARTMENT: The Department of Computer Science has 13 full-time faculty members, with a wide range of backgrounds and interests. The faculty is committed to teaching its undergraduate and Master’s level students. In a typical semester, the Department will offer over 30 undergraduate and about 20 graduate classes. Classes are offered both in day and evening. Classes are generally small, with many opportunities for faculty-student contact. The Department offers a B.S. in Computer Science and an M.S. in Computer Science. Currently, there are more than 600 undergraduate majors and over 150 students in the M.S. program.
DUTIES OF THE POSITION: Teaching courses at B.S. and M.S. levels, curriculum development at both levels, and sustaining a research program. Please note that teaching assignments at California State University, East Bay include courses at the Hayward, Concord and Online campuses. In addition to teaching, all faculty have advising responsibilities, assist the department with administrative and/or committee work, and are expected to assume campus-wide committee responsibilities. The ideal candidate for this position can:
1. Engage with a diverse student body. This diversity includes ethnicity, country of origin, educational background – many are the first in their family to attend college, and age, to name a few.
2. Teach a wide range of computer science courses including most or all of the core subject matter at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
3. Support offerings for undergraduate C.S. students including teaching courses, developing the undergraduate curriculum, and engaging undergraduate students in research.
4. Support offerings for graduate C.S. students including teaching courses, guiding M.S. theses and projects, managing the graduate capstone course.
5. Advise Computer Science students.
6. Participate in departmental activities such as curriculum development, assessment, outreach, etc.
7. Develop and continue ongoing research activities, service, and leadership.
Please note that teaching assignments at California State University, East Bay include courses at the Hayward, Concord, and Online campuses. In addition to teaching, all faculty have advising responsibilities, assist the department with administrative and/or committee work, and are expected to assume campus-wide committee responsibilities.
RANK AND SALARY: Assistant Professor - Salary is dependent upon educational preparation and experience. Subject to budgetary authorization.
DATE OF APPOINTMENT: Fall Semester 2022
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Computer Science by the effective date of the appointment. Applicants must be able to teach undergraduate and graduate level courses in most of the standard computer science core subjects. We welcome applicants in all areas of specialization, but especially encourage candidates with research interests in cybersecurity, and human-computer interaction. Candidates should demonstrate experience in teaching, mentoring, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. Additionally, applicants must demonstrate a record of scholarly activity. Candidate’s accomplishments should be commensurate with their professional level.
This University is fully committed to the rights of students, staff and faculty with disabilities in accordance with applicable state and federal laws. For more information about the University’s program supporting the rights of our students with disabilities see: http://www20.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/as/
APPLICATION DEADLINE: The deadline for applications is October 31, 2021; review of applications will begin November 1, 2021. The position, however, will be considered open until filled. Please submit the following material via PageUp (see "Apply Now").
1) A letter of application, which addresses the qualifications noted in the position announcement
2) A complete and current curriculum vitae
3) Names and email addresses of three references
4) Three letters of recommendation
5) A statement of teaching philosophy, and evidence of teaching and research abilities
6) Applicants are also required to submit a one-page diversity statement that addresses how you engage a diverse student population (underrepresented group, etc.) in your teaching, research, mentoring, and advising.
Note: California State University, East Bay hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All offers of employment are contingent upon presentation of documents demonstrating the appointee’s identity and eligibility to work in accordance with provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act. A background check (including a criminal records check and prior employment verification) must be completed and cleared prior to the start of employment.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, CSUEB does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran’s status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
Advertised: June 09, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Hayward
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Hayward
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Hayward
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Hayward
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Hayward