Facility Maintenance Technician (1423)
The role of this position is to provide a safe, functional, clean, efficient and attractive living and learning environment. This position performs work at a skilled, licensed level in one or more trades in university facilities. Responsibilities include troubleshooting problems with mechanical/HVAC systems, building automation systems, HVAC and related equipment, making major or minor corrective repairs as required. Also performs inspections and planned maintenance on air handling units, pumps, fan coils, heat exchangers, variable air volume units, dx units, window air conditioners and heat pumps, exhaust fans and related equipment. May also install new mechanical or HVAC equipment, and may be required to recondition equipment to improve reliability and extend service life. Assists with the development of initial proposals for energy conservation projects in existing facilities. Provides technical expertise and actively contributes to campus building system design, commissioning and sustainability efforts. Provides information and assistance to building occupants, planners and others involved in major alterations/renovations to the building. Will lead other field operations personnel in routine or complex system checks, diagnostics or calibrations on building HVAC systems. Assists in providing hands-on training, instruction and demonstrations on new system operation and best practices. The Facilities Maintenance Technician will also be responsible for (when qualified to) assist with: electrical, carpentry, and HVAC projects and other maintenance processes. This position will be involved in corrective and preventive maintenance and minor alteration work. This position requires some limited supervision and often works independently.
- Assists with the installation of new or reconditioned mechanical or HVAC equipment, in order to maintain a fully operational and safe system. Performs major, and minor corrective and planned maintenance on air handling units, pumps, fan coil units, heat exchangers, variable air volume units, DX units, exhaust fans and related equipment, in order to maintain a safe, functional and efficient operation and ensure a comfortable living and learning environment.
- Inspects all building mechanical rooms and equipment, in order to provide a safe and clean working condition for employees. Assists other trades people, in order to perform and accomplish high quality work.
- Attends organizational meetings to convey the importance of accurate, timely and correct maintenance and record keeping of the maintenance function. Provides information and assistance to building occupants, planners and others involved in major alterations/renovations to the building.
- Attends technical training to remain up to date with new equipment that may be installed in the building.
- Maintains accurate files and equipment records for deferred maintenance analysis, in order to build a historical database from which to efficiently manage future project costs.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Sr. Coordinator/Analyst A
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
- Working knowledge of DDC dampers, actuators, temperature controls
- Universal CFC license
Preferred Education and Experience
- Journeyman’s license in one or more trades, credential issued by facilities professional association.
- 10+ years of relevant experience (one or more year project management and supervisory experience is preferred)
- Ability to work on ladders, scaffolding and at heights of 40 feet or more, and lift 50 lbs preferred)
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
All university trade positions are expected to perform duties other than those typically associated with core trade responsibilities as the needs of the university dictate. Facilities Management is a diverse team-oriented organization where employees actively support each other’s success. Collaboration and cooperation are expected from all employees. Successful FM employees are those who contribute to our ability to support each other and our customers.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license with fewer than 2 points
- Intermediate computer skills, to include CMMS experience
- Must submit at least 3 professional references.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.