The role of this position is to provide a safe, functional, clean, efficient and attractive living and learning environment. This position performs work at a skilled, licensed level in one or more trades in university facilities. The electrician is a skilled, licensed trade person responsible for evaluating, repairing and replacing a variety of electrical facility components, to ensure the equipment is fully operational and meets university standards. This position will be involved in corrective and preventive maintenance and minor alteration work and may oversee temporary labor and/or other trades persons or contractors as required. This position requires general supervision and often works independently. Trades technicians work independently and cooperatively with other Facility Management and University departments along with contract trade personnel in order to maintain building systems, prevent facility problems when possible and respond to customer requests or emergencies. Occasionally functions as a team leader of a 2 to 5 member project team. This position has no budget responsibility but is able to order materials at the direction of the zone maintenance supervisor.
- Performs preventive, and routine corrective maintenance on wiring, lighting systems, power distribution panels, electrical motors and various equipment such as emergency generators and transfer switches, in order to assure that systems are safe and operating as designed.
- Performs emergency repairs to wiring, lighting, power appliances, electrical machinery, and other types of electrical systems in and around buildings, in order to assure that service interruptions are minimized.
- Performs emergency and routine maintenance on low voltage alarm and access systems, in support of and backup to the Low voltage alarm electrician.
- Provides temporary power for special events, to ensure university needs are met. Attends meeting and training courses, in order to stay current with departmental procedures and maximize job performance.
- Attends technical training to remain up to date with new equipment that may be installed in the building.
- Completes necessary paperwork and documentation of work, to ensure university policies and procedures are complied with
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Sr. Coordinator/Analyst A
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Experience as a service/maintenance electrician
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot a simple electrical circuit
Preferred Education and Experience
- Journeyman’s electrical license
- Credential issued by facilities professional association preferred
- 5-8 years of relevant experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
All university trade positions are expected to perform duties other than those typically associated with core trade responsibilities as the needs of the university dictate. Facilities Management is a diverse team-oriented organization where employees actively support each other’s success. Collaboration and cooperation are expected from all employees. Successful FM employees are those who contribute to our ability to support each other and our customers.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license with fewer than 2 points
- District of Columbia electrical license
- Intermediate computer skills, to include CMMS experience
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.