Laboratory Technician Il
The Laboratory Technician II provides advanced level operation and maintenance of teaching laboratory facilities and equipment in the Department of Chemistry & Physics. Performs all procedures necessary to maintain a safe, uninterrupted work environment in accordance to departmental and national safety guidelines.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Prepares and maintains laboratories facilities for teaching instruction.
- Prepares solvents, solutions, reagents, and apparatuses according to faculty guidelines.
- Maintains clean laboratories facilities. Responsible for set up and breakdown of equipment.
- Participates in environmental health and safety audits, maintains accurate records, and ensures compliance with safety regulations of science laboratories.
- Provides training on proper usage of laboratory equipment and safe laboratory practices including safe handling and disposal of biohazardous materials, and standard policies and protocols for reporting unusual events.
- Performs routine maintenance and inspections to ensure optimum calibration and condition of equipment.
- Maintains supplies for laboratory courses and replenish stocks of solvents, reagents, and solutions. Ensures chemicals are stored in the correct manner according to safety codes, regulations, and best practices.
- Maintains accurate records on equipment maintenance and acquisition of supplies.
- Trains and supervises student lab assistants on the proper use of laboratory equipment, chemicals, and all applicable safety protocols.
- Assists in the development of laboratory standard operating procedures.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Additional Job Description
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Four years of relevant full-time experience in a laboratory setting.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
- Experience operating a personal computer and proficient with Microsoft Office (Work, Excel, and Outlook).
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Environmental Studies, Geology, Marine Science, Biology, Chemistry, or other appropriate Natural or Physical Science.
- Laboratory experience in an academic setting.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of the use and maintenance of laboratory facilities and/or equipment.
- Knowledge of laboratory and experimental protocols and procedures.
- Knowledge of inventory control principles and methods.
- Knowledge of applicable safety standards, guidelines, and protocols.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects within deadlines.
- Ability to prepare stock chemicals according to given standards.
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Ability to maintain records and perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to work successfully as both a member of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with a diverse group of faculty, students, and staff.
- Ability to collaborate with classroom instructors to ensure delivery of a quality laboratory experience to students in a laboratory/classroom setting.
- Ability to prepare and set-up appropriate laboratory materials and equipment for various laboratory activities.
- Ability to utilize, calibrate, configure and/or troubleshoot laboratory equipment and instruments.
- Able to work an irregular schedule as needed, including evenings and weekends, to accommodate class scheduling.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and inclusion.
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers