Laboratory Coordinator I
The Laboratory Coordinator I oversees and coordinates the operation and maintenance of laboratory facilities and equipment in the respective department. Assists students and faculty in the laboratory and classroom setting. Performs all procedures necessary to maintain a safe, uninterrupted work environment in accordance to departmental and national safety guidelines.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Coordinates day-to-day operations of assigned laboratories. Provides technical leadership to Laboratory Assistants, Laboratory Technicians, and/or student employees.
- Collaborates with faculty members to design and develop lab instruction and teaching materials. Assists faculty in the classroom setting as assigned.
- Prepares and maintains laboratory facilities for teaching instruction. Provides guidance in learning and functional operation of procedures and equipment.
- Conducts audits of safety protocols and emergency response plans. Ensures chemicals are stored in the correct manner according to safety codes, regulations, and best practices. Ensures equipment is operating in a safe manner according to manufacturer specifications.
- Provides training and ensures compliance with the proper usage of laboratory equipment and safe laboratory practices including safe handling and disposal of biohazardous materials, and standard policies and protocols for reporting unusual events.
- Maintains and inspects equipment to ensure optimum calibration and condition.
- Maintains supplies for laboratory courses and replenish stocks of solvents, reagents, solutions, and other necessary items.
- Monitors department budgets including expenditures from supplies and equipment accounts. Researches purchase options, prepares purchase requisitions, and reconciles invoices.
- Assists in the development of the annual operating budget. Makes recommendations for the purchase of new equipment and modifications to or replacement of current equipment.
- Assists in the development of laboratory standard operating procedures, evaluates work processes, contributes to continuous improvement models, and creating short and long term plans.
Additional Job Description
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Engineering, Environmental Studies, Geology, Marine Science, Biology, Chemistry, or other field appropriate to the position.
- Three years of relevant full-time experience in a laboratory setting.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
- Experience operating a personal computer and proficient with Microsoft Office (Work, Excel, and Outlook).
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Engineering, Environmental Studies, Geology, Marine Science, Biology, Chemistry, or other field appropriate to the position.
- Laboratory experience in an academic setting.
- Experience creating standard operating procedures, guidelines, and safety protocols.
- Experience training and leading the work of others.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of the use and maintenance of laboratory facilities and/or equipment.
- Knowledge of laboratory and experimental protocols and procedures.
- Knowledge of inventory control principles and methods.
- Knowledge of applicable safety standards, guidelines, and protocols.
- Knowledge of Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) Methods, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) standards, or American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects within deadlines.
- Ability to maintain records and perform advanced mathematical calculations.
- Ability to work successfully as both a member of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with a diverse group of faculty, students, and staff.
- Ability to collaborate with classroom instructors to ensure delivery of a quality laboratory experience to students in a laboratory/classroom setting.
- Ability to deliver effective presentations to large and small audiences.
- Ability to prepare and set-up appropriate laboratory materials and equipment for various laboratory activities.
- Ability to utilize, calibrate, configure and/or troubleshoot laboratory equipment and instruments.
- Able to work an irregular schedule as needed, including evenings and weekends, to accommodate class scheduling.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and inclusion.
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.