Communications Specialist 1
University Job Family
For more information on ORP, visit:
Scope of Search
Is this employee on a H1B Visa?
Division of Strategic Enrollment Management
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity,
service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A
premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as
one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to
work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported
and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave
package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an
opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Reporting to the Associate Director of SEMSS Student
Communications, the Communications Specialist plays a critical role
in meeting the student recruitment, enrollment, and success goals
of the University. This position is a valuable member of a
collaborative creative marketing communications team that supports
the Student Financial Services unit who will contribute to the
marketing and communications efforts of this unit.
The primary responsibilities of this position include:
• Coordinate Student Financial Services marketing and
communications (e.g., print media, social media, digital marketing,
direct mail, email, blog posts, website, call and text campaigns,
video and photography, and other forms of communication) and create
new materials consistent with the VCU’s brand and marketing
• Oversees, maintains, and continuously optimizes the knowledge
base of the unit’s chatbot messaging channel and Blackboard call
center to ensure an effortless, accurate, and robust customer
• Addresses and works to correct any process or informational
errors created in these systems.
• Contributes to the marketing needs and outgoing communications of
the unit, developing a social media presence through follow-up and
outreach, and building communication relationships with VCU
students within a highly regulatory environment.
• Fact check, maintain and update the Student Financial Services
web pages and develop new content as needed.
• Conduct chatbot maintenance and implement methods to improve
chatbot responses, particularly surrounding user experience.
Maintains Blackboard Knowledge Base for accuracy. Delivers custom
communications to students using University systems including Slate
and Navigate Student Success Management System.
• Assists with survey development.
• Develops electronic and/or online forms for Student Financial
• Review, update, proofread and edit content for all print
publications, and work with designers and colleagues in the
development of revised and new print materials.
• Collaborate with colleagues, graphic designers, photographers,
videographers, and student employees to meet Student Financial
Services marketing and communication goals.
• Assists the Associate Director in: reviewing internal
communications, data, conducts market research to develop effective
and proactive strategies, adjusts to shifting trends, leverage
existing technologies, and engage emerging technologies to meet
Student Financial Services goals.
• Understanding business processes within Student Financial
Services such as financial aid and student billing timelines or
encouraging students to sign up for direct deposit.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Hiring Standards
● Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or a
related field and/or equivalent combination of education and
● Exemplary communication skills with an ability to express ideas
clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing.
● Experience writing and creating content across multimedia
platforms, researching and fact checking, proofreading and editing,
and creating surveys.
● Experience with the technical qualities, language, and culture of
major social media platforms (e.g., Reddit, Yelp, Google,
Instagram, Twitter, Facebook).
● Detail-oriented, organized, and able to juggle many different
projects simultaneously with consistent accuracy, follow-through,
and timely completion of projects.
● Strong analytical skills. Ability to think and plan strategically
and to be a solution- oriented problem solver.
● Ability to work independently and in teams. Collaborative work
style that fosters and maintains strong relationships with campus
partners and external partners.
● Ability to take initiative and complete projects and/or
assignments with minimal supervision, self-motivated, and able to
● Ability to function effectively under pressure, capable of making
decisions and responding to challenges quickly and with ease.
● Articulate and professional.
● Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
● Strong customer-service orientation with email, telephone, and
● Ability to recognize and protect confidential information in
accordance with the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (
FERPA ) and exercise judgment, tact, and diplomacy in handling
sensitive information and situations.
● Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
● Bachelor’s degree recipients in English, communications,
marketing, fine arts, liberal arts, journalism, public relations or
● Professional experience in marketing or communications,
especially in higher
● Experience implementing a strategic communications plan.
● Experience successfully managing and delivering social media and
digital marketing content.
● Knowledge of higher education market trends and best practices in
a financial aid office, student accounting office or student
financial management center.
● An understanding of design techniques (e.g., graphic design, web
design, videography, photography).
● Experience managing communications through a student
communications system and/or customer service call or chat
Required Licenses/ Certifications
Anticipated Hiring Range
Up to $45,000
Application Process/Additional Information
Monroe Park Campus
Normal Work Days/Hours
Job Open Date
Posting will close on or before
Open Until Filled
Is this a restricted position?
Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- * Please select your highest level of education achieved.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Some graduate coursework
- Master's Degree
- Some doctoral coursework
- Doctoral Degree
- * Do you have professional experience in marketing or
communications in a higher education setting?
- * Do you have experience posting to social media in a
professional business setting?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document