University Code 13221 University Title Communications Specialist 1 University Job Family Communications ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search Regional Working Title Communications Specialist Position Number 001980 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? No Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Division of Strategic Enrollment Management Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Reporting to the Associate Director of SEMSS Student Communications, the Communications Specialist plays a critical role in meeting the student recruitment, enrollment, and success goals of the University. This position is a valuable member of a collaborative creative marketing communications team that supports the Student Financial Services unit who will contribute to the marketing and communications efforts of this unit.
The primary responsibilities of this position include:
• Coordinate Student Financial Services marketing and communications (e.g., print media, social media, digital marketing, direct mail, email, blog posts, website, call and text campaigns, video and photography, and other forms of communication) and create new materials consistent with the VCU’s brand and marketing standards.
• Oversees, maintains, and continuously optimizes the knowledge base of the unit’s chatbot messaging channel and Blackboard call center to ensure an effortless, accurate, and robust customer experience.
• Addresses and works to correct any process or informational errors created in these systems.
• Contributes to the marketing needs and outgoing communications of the unit, developing a social media presence through follow-up and outreach, and building communication relationships with VCU students within a highly regulatory environment.
• Fact check, maintain and update the Student Financial Services web pages and develop new content as needed.
• Conduct chatbot maintenance and implement methods to improve chatbot responses, particularly surrounding user experience. Maintains Blackboard Knowledge Base for accuracy. Delivers custom communications to students using University systems including Slate and Navigate Student Success Management System.
• Assists with survey development.
• Develops electronic and/or online forms for Student Financial Services Offices.
• Review, update, proofread and edit content for all print publications, and work with designers and colleagues in the development of revised and new print materials.
• Collaborate with colleagues, graphic designers, photographers, videographers, and student employees to meet Student Financial Services marketing and communication goals.
• Assists the Associate Director in: reviewing internal communications, data, conducts market research to develop effective and proactive strategies, adjusts to shifting trends, leverage existing technologies, and engage emerging technologies to meet Student Financial Services goals.
• Understanding business processes within Student Financial Services such as financial aid and student billing timelines or encouraging students to sign up for direct deposit.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Hiring Standards
● Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or a related field and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
● Exemplary communication skills with an ability to express ideas clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing.
● Experience writing and creating content across multimedia platforms, researching and fact checking, proofreading and editing, and creating surveys.
● Experience with the technical qualities, language, and culture of major social media platforms (e.g., Reddit, Yelp, Google, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook).
● Detail-oriented, organized, and able to juggle many different projects simultaneously with consistent accuracy, follow-through, and timely completion of projects.
● Strong analytical skills. Ability to think and plan strategically and to be a solution- oriented problem solver.
● Ability to work independently and in teams. Collaborative work style that fosters and maintains strong relationships with campus partners and external partners.
● Ability to take initiative and complete projects and/or assignments with minimal supervision, self-motivated, and able to set priorities.
● Ability to function effectively under pressure, capable of making decisions and responding to challenges quickly and with ease.
● Articulate and professional.
● Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
● Strong customer-service orientation with email, telephone, and in-person elements.
● Ability to recognize and protect confidential information in accordance with the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act ( FERPA ) and exercise judgment, tact, and diplomacy in handling sensitive information and situations.
● Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
● Bachelor’s degree recipients in English, communications, marketing, fine arts, liberal arts, journalism, public relations or media.
● Professional experience in marketing or communications, especially in higher
● Experience implementing a strategic communications plan.
● Experience successfully managing and delivering social media and digital marketing content.
● Knowledge of higher education market trends and best practices in a financial aid office, student accounting office or student financial management center.
● An understanding of design techniques (e.g., graphic design, web design, videography, photography).
● Experience managing communications through a student communications system and/or customer service call or chat function.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Up to $45,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours M-F Job Open Date 06/09/2021 Posting will close on or before 06/27/2021 Open Until Filled No Job Category Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/106658 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please select your highest level of education achieved.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Some graduate coursework
- Master's Degree
- Some doctoral coursework
- Doctoral Degree
- * Do you have professional experience in marketing or
communications in a higher education setting?
- * Do you have experience posting to social media in a
professional business setting?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document