Scientific Computing Support
The College of Science and Mathematics (CSM) at James Madison University (JMU) is accepting applications for a Scientific Computing Support staff member to support the vision of JMU and the CSM Office of the Dean, by providing technical support to faculty and staff in CSM. The Scientific Computing Support will also provide faculty and staff in the Department of Geology and Environmental Science (GES) with technical, network, specialized software and hardware support.
CSM is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students and sustaining an inclusive work and learning environment. All applicants should demonstrate their commitment to contributing to this environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports GES faculty and staff users, providing training and support as needed to optimize the computer resources throughout CSM. Supports the Dean’s Suite and other CSM departments, staff and users as needs require.
- Communicates and coordinates activities with supervisors and IT Specialist peers within CSM, and the network, systems and security specialists at JMU central IT, in order to aid in technology planning, coordination, and information exchange across the College and JMU.
- Installs, manages, and maintains computers (PC, Mac, Linux) of all GES faculty and staff and CSM Dean’s office personnel, as well as provide support, maintenance, and problem resolution for their specialized software and hardware.
- Supports GES faculty and staff for their use of classroom and departmental educational technologies while coordinating with JMU Classroom Technology Services as appropriate. GES facilities include three 24-seat computer labs, two smaller computer labs, and 11 research labs with instrumentation that require special hardware and software needs.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills are essential as is the ability to work well with faculty and staff, and other IT Specialists.
- Significant knowledge of Apple and Windows computing environments, both hardware and software.
- Significant knowledge of current and emerging technologies.
- Proficiency with Linux systems.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to diagnose and resolve computer hardware and software problems.
- Experience in providing service, support, and/or training to others.
- Ability to effectively assimilate and communicate relevant information to facilitate the efficient resolution of and prevention of problems.
James Madison University is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Harrisonburg
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Harrisonburg
- Computer Services & Information Technology Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Harrisonburg
- Technology Administration/Other Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Harrisonburg