Financial Aid Counselor
Concordia University Chicago (CUC) invites applications for the full-time, non-exempt position of Financial Aid Counselor. This position is responsible for receiving, evaluating, and verifying student data to award federal, state, institutional, and outside financial aid funds. Student eligibility is determined in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations, policies and procedures. Financial Aid Counselors are responsible for counseling students on matters of financial aid eligibility, and for providing necessary information regarding student financial assistance programs to various constituencies. This position is located in River Forest, IL and reports to the Director of Financial Aid.
- Provide assistance to the Director for the operation of a comprehensive financial aid program
- Counsel students regarding their aid eligibility, academic progress, and student accounts
- Attend financial aid workshops and remain current on Federal and State regulations
- Perform file review, verification and awarding of all financial aid funds
- Assist students with the financial aid application process
- Interpret and explain financial aid packages and processes to students, faculty and staff members
- Conduct financial aid presentations
- Certify and process applications for all educational loan programs
- Assist with yearly audit functions
- Assist with gathering data for institutional and governmental reports
- Serve as a financial aid resource person to the Graduate Admission Office
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Financial Aid
- Customer service oriented
- Strong decision making abilities
- High degree of organizational ability
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse communities on and off campus
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with students, parents, faculty, staff, the public and representatives of lending institutions
- Knowledge of Banner or similar financial aid technologies preferred
- Experience with Excel, Word and report writing software, such as Access
Minimum Experience Required:
- Financial aid, student loan or student services experience preferred
- Understanding and appreciation of Lutheran higher education
- Possess a thorough understanding of the role of financial aid programs within a private college environment
- Exhibit exceptional interpersonal skills and responsiveness to students
Bachelor's degree required
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting range is dependent upon individual qualifications and experience. Concordia University Chicago benefit options include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and/or Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Disability and Survivor Plan (Basic Life Insurance)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Pension Plan
- Retirement 403(b) Savings Plan
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Tuition benefits (available for employees and their qualified dependents)
Interested individuals should include a cover letter, resume and references with their online application.
Concordia does not discriminate in the employment of individuals on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, sex or age. As an institution of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, however, and to the extent allowed by law, Concordia University reserves the right to give preference in employment based upon religious affiliation.
Concordia University Chicago does not generally sponsor for employment visas except for positions that oversee, teach or support our international programs.
About Concordia University Chicago:
Concordia University Chicago is a liberal arts-based Christian university founded in the Lutheran tradition. Through its College of Theology, Arts & Humanities, College of Business, College of Education, and College of Health, Science & Technology, Concordia-Chicago offers more than 160 areas of study in small classes taught by professors who are passionate about teaching and student success. All undergraduate and graduate degrees are fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Concordia University Chicago has been recognized as a College of Distinction since 2010, and is consistently ranked among the Best Regional Universities-Midwest by U.S. News & World Report. For more than a decade, combined undergraduate and graduate enrollment has exceeded 5,000 students. Concordia University Chicago is located in River Forest, 10 miles west of downtown Chicago. Learn more about our commitment to higher education, rooted in the Gospel, at CUChicago.edu.
Steadfast in Jesus Christ as revealed in the Holy Scriptures, Concordia University Chicago promotes academic rigor in its liberal arts and professional programs; grounds students in objective truth, integrity, and excellence; and practices faithfulness to the Confessional teachings of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, as it forms students for vocations in church, family, and the world.